Contemporary arts with Anouk Mercier
A year long commission will see Anouk engage with Stourhead House, Collection and Gardens and our unique Spirit of Place. Complimenting the property wide story that we launch this year ‘The Genius of the Place’. Anouk will spend two artist residencies on site, deliver workshops for adults and children and create a new site specific artwork to be exhibited onsite from September - December.
This is one of many creative partnerships between artists and National Trust properties under the ‘Trust New Art’ programme, which celebrates contemporary art. This commission has been developed in collaboration with guest curator Jack Gibbon, Director of Antlers in Bristol.
Anouk studied Classical Drawing at L’Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux Arts, Paris, before completing a Fine Art and Visual Culture BA from the University of the West England (UWE), Bristol. Alongside establishing her own drawing-based practice, she has been an active promoter of drawing regionally and nationally, most recently in her role running and developing the UWE Drawing Centre. She was shortlisted for the Jerwood Drawing Prize in 2015 and regularly exhibits her work both nationally and internationally.
Combining drawing, printing and airbrushing techniques, Anouk’s process begins with research into a site’s history and collection, pulling together photographs, etchings and sketches, which she works into a new landscape composition.
Anouk will be documenting elements of her research and artistic journey at Stourhead through a series of posts on this blog so do check back to follow her progress.
There are also a number of events, workshops and other ways that you can engage with Anouk throughout the year including:
- Anouk is loaning us an artwork 'Waterfall Scene with Temple, Urns and Veridian Lake (After Ducros and Piranesi)' which is available to view now in the Column Room at Stourhead House. March - December 2018.
- ‘Create your own Masterpiece’ art competition for visitors of all ages (judged by a panel including Anouk) running between 1 July and 24 August 2018.
- Family collage workshops running throughout August 2018.
- Artist residency and open studio from 27 - 31 August 2018.
- Exhibition of Anouks site specific commissioned work - 1 September - 25 November 2018.