The Orangery Garden at Tredegar House

A view of the mansion from the Orangery garden

The smallest of the three gardens, the Orangery Garden is an impression of how it would have looked more than two hundred years ago. The complex parterres are covered with a collection of different minerals arranged in undulating formal patterns.

The third and smallest garden enclosure is an immaculate and intricately designed parterre garden. The surface of the parterres are covered with a collection of different coloured minerals including: sea shells, crushed lime mortar, brick dust, coal dust, white and orange sands and grass - all arranged in undulating formal patterns. The Orangery Garden as it is seen today is an impression of how this space would have looked whilst the Morgan's lived here in the eighteenth century.

The Orangery itself today houses a variety of fruit trees and herbaceous plants known to have been grown during the eighteenth century. During the 1930s the Orangery was used by Evan Morgan, not only for his infamous garden parties but also as a place to keep his exotic birds.

Read the story of the Cefn Mabli Shovelboard in the Orangery
The Cefn Mabli Shovelboard

The most impressive feature of the Orangery is the 42-foot-long Cefn Mabli Shovelboard. One of the great wonders of Wales, this impressive shovelboard is the longest single plank oak table top in Britain. Made in the Civil War period for Cefn Mabli House, the shovelboard was already famous in the seventeenth century…

" The Gallery of Kevenmabley hath in it of note ... an extraordinary shovelboard of 42 foot in length and of one entire plank of an oak whereof 20 foot was also cut off before."
- Thomas Dinely, 1684