The very beginning
The house was built back in 1350 during medieval times and reign of Edward III. A rare surviving example of a Wealden timber framed hall house and although called the Clergy House it was unusual for the priest of the parish to live there. Most of the time the house was rented out by the church as a source of income.
Key events throughout the years
1350 - House built by a farmer who prospered after the Black Death
1395 - The church take over the ownership of the Clergy House
1600 - All the windows of the house are glazed
1800 - House divided into two cottages
1885 - Church authorities seek permission to demolish house
1888 - Death of Harriet Coates, the last occupant of the house
1896 - We buy the house for £10
Harriet Coates was the last person to live in the house before it was purchased by us in 1896. Her desire to live out her days at the house delayed the proposed demolishment by the church.
Rev. F.W Beynon
After the death of the last tenant, Rev. Beynon tirelessly campaigned to save the house from being pulled down. He made contact with the then newly formed National Trust and we purchased the house, saving it for ever.
Octavia Hill was instrumental in the saving of the Clergy House. Describing the house as 'rich in memories of England as our ancestors knew' she launched the first National Trust appeal for funds to restore the house.
Saved by the National Trust
The house, was the first building to be purchased and saved for everyone for ever by the then newly formed National Trust in 1896. Our logo is an oak leaf - was this oak leaf carved into a beam of the hall the inspiration behind it?