Castle Drogo's fruit cake
This is the easiest and best fruit cake you'll ever make – good enough as a light Christmas/special occasion cake.
- 8oz or 225gms S.R. Flour
- 4oz or 113gms soft brown sugar (light or dark)
- 12oz or 350gms mixed dried fruit
- 2oz or 75gms glace cherries, halved
- 2 lge. free range eggs
- 5fl.oz or 140mls vegetable/sunflower oil
- 5fl.oz or 140mls milk
- 1 tsp. mixed spice
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- Oil and line a 2lb (IK.) loaf tin or 7” (17.5cms) deep, round cake tin.Turn the oven to 150c. Gas 3.
- Sift the flour, spice and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, dried fruit and cherries and make a well in the middle.
- Beat together the oil, milk, eggs and almond extract, pour into the middle and beat until all is evenly mixed – a wooden spoon is quite adequate for this.
- Turn all into the prepared tin, tap firmly on the work surface to remove air pockets and evenly distribute the mixture.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for approx. 1 1/2hrs or until firm to touch and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool the cake in the tin. .
Optional topping – about halfway through the cooking carefully remove the cake and sprinkle demerara sugar or almonds over the top, return to the oven to continue cooking.