Visiting Cliveden with your dog
There's 375 acres of woodlands, riverbank and formal gardens to be sniffed at around Cliveden.
Dogs at Cliveden
With over 300 acres to explore, Cliveden offers a varied selection of dog-friendly walking trails. Here's a handy dog walk map, available for you to download or print, for you to see where you can go with your pooch.
Where can my dog go?
Our dog walkers' guide shows the areas available to you and your dog at Cliveden. We ask you to observe the traffic light system in place.
Green zones (dogs allowed off leads)
Dogs are welcome off lead in the woodlands, provided they are under close control. Our definition of close or effective control is:
- Being able to recall your dogs in any situation at the first call.
- Being able to clearly see your dog at all times (not just knowing they have gone into the undergrowth or over the crest of the hill). In practice this means keeping them on a footpath if the surrounding vegetation is too dense for your dog to be visible.
- Not allowing them to approach other visitors without their consent.
- Having a lead with you to use if you encounter livestock, wildlife or you are asked to use one.
Amber zones (dogs allowed on short leads)
In the formal gardens and in the areas of the estate north of the Main Drive and Spring Drive, dogs are welcome provided they are on short leads. This area includes our refreshment kiosk in the Walled Garden car park, which is dog-friendly. Dogs on leads are also very welcome in the Cliveden shop.
Red zones (assistance dogs only)
Excluding assistance dogs, we ask that dogs are not brought into the Water Garden (including the Storybook Play Den), onto the Parterre lawn, into the Conservatory Café or the Chapel, or on our guided tours of Cliveden House.
What do I need to be aware of at Cliveden?
To make sure everyone has an enjoyable day please follow our Canine Code:
- Take the lead: help reduce the chance of your pup disturbing wildlife by keeping them on a lead.
- Scoop that poop: bag it and bin it to keep your favourite places beautiful.
- Paws for thought: look out for information signs and take extra care on cliff paths.
- Be on the ball: not everyone loves dogs, so keep them close by.
Please note that there are open bodies of water at Cliveden. We ask that you do not let your dog enter any of the ponds and fountains across the estate and please be aware of possible strong currents if allowing your dog to swim in the river.
If you lose your dog on the estate, please let a member of the Cliveden team know and we will do what we can to help reunite you.
Please note that access for dogs at our individual events may vary, so please check each event listing carefully and call or email us if you have any questions.
Facilities available for my dog
There are several dog poo bins installed across the Cliveden estate, including near the Walled Garden car park, overflow car park, by the river and near the Woodland Lounge. Please see our map for further details. We also provide bowls for thirsty dogs to drink from at our refreshment kiosk, outside the Conservatory Café, and in our Woodland car park. We have lots of doggy treats available at the Cliveden shop so be sure to stop by and pamper your pooch.