As the house fell out of favour with its owners so the church went through a period of decline in the 18th century. With Anna Maria Hunt’s inheritance of Lanhydrock in 1798 the house and church fared better with repairs carried out in the early 1820s. In 1844 Thomas James Robartes bore the expense of creating a regular parish while a full restoration (between 1886 and 1888) was paid for by the family in memory of Thomas James and Juliana Agar-Robartes. A window in memory of Tommy Agar-Robartes, who died at the battle of Loos in 1915, was inserted after the end of the first world war and there is a memorial to him in the cemetery.
St Hydroc’s, part of the parish of St Petroc’s in Bodmin, holds regular Sunday services and Nigel Teagle, Lanhydrock’s Head Gardener, is a bell ringer here. Lanhydrock means holy place of Hydroc.
The Lanhydrock Atlas of 1695 shows a kitchen garden and phaesantry to the west behind the church. In the 1780s George Hunt had the East Range demolished and the walls enclosing the gardens to the east and north of the house removed.
Anna Marie Hunt inherited in 1798 and made alterations to the house and gardens. A new walled ornamental garden was constructed in 1823-4 turning the kitchen garden and pheasantry into a flower garden. The wilderness garden to the north may have survived into the 19th century.
The 1857 re-design of the formal garden included new steps from the parterre to the church and a wall to matching the walls extending from the gatehouse. The plans were drawn up by Richard Coad and the steps were built between by 1864.
The church border has a red, white and blue theme from spring to autumn. Blue camassia and white and blue agapanthus vie for attention in the spring while Geranium sylvaticum gives lovely displays of blue flowers in the summer. Red and blue Fuchsia dominate in late summer and autumn. Rosa albertine clothes the recessed stone arbour in salmon pink flowers in the early summer.