Crossing the tennis court leads to the north garden which is depicted in the Lanhydrock Atlas of 1695 as a wilderness garden. This was an area interlaced with gravel paths in the form of a Union Jack between small shrubs and trees. Family members and guests could escape the busy house for a quiet stroll taking in the fresh Cornish air. The wilderness garden extended north to where, today, the National Trust reception building is situated.
The National Trust made plantings of several varieties of rhododendron and magnolia in an informal open scheme through the 1970s and 80s with three Indian horse chestnut trees grouped close to the wall bordering the parterre. The large Rhododendron arboreum near the fence bears red flowers in spring and is over 100 years old. The 1860 picture shows this as a sparsely planted grassed area.