Osterley Park and House Trails
In the spring of 2017, we embarked on a project to improve and upgrade the pathways around the estate for the enjoyment of everyone. This included the creation of a new cycle skills area and 3.5km of work along our walking trails creating a local resource that can be used all year round.
Osterley is a popular place to walk, run, take a stroll with the dog and for children to learn to cycle. With support from Sport England and London Marathon Charitable Trust, we have been working to improve our circuit of pathways for the benefit of everyone who enjoys and cares for Osterley Park. By upgrading the surface of our paths and signage we are enriching the Osterley experience and hope to encourage more local families to get outdoors and active in a safe, traffic-free, green space.
The picturesque parkland, lakes and mansion create an atmosphere which is unique in this busy part of Isleworth and Hounslow. It is especially close to the vision of the National Trust’s co-founder Octavia Hill, who fought for a better quality of life in London, through access to green space.
" The need of quiet, the need of air, the need of exercise, and, I believe, the sight of sky and of things growing, seem human needs, common to all..."
- We have undertaken 3.5km of improvements to existing paths and a new 500 metre section, creating a multi-use trail that starts and ends at the main car park. Refreshments and toilets are en-route
- We've created a new skills area for young families, in a small woodland space, suitable for kids to learn to cycle and gain confidence, creating a new home for our popular cycling skills programme
- We've improved the surfaces of existing routes into Osterley Park
- We've installed new wayfinding signage for the cycle routes and orientation across site
- £356,000 investment at Osterley
- Part of a £4.25 million national joint programme at ten National Trust properties in England, with Sport England and charitable trusts
Working with local partners
Last summer over 100 children learnt to ride for the first time outside our historic house with The Bicycle Society - a cycling group specialising in teaching children how to cycle in a fun and interactive way. Together we are working to provide lasting skills and memories for children in our local area.
" The coaches are always passionate and enthusiastic; bringing an infectious vibe not only to their sessions but to Osterley Park as a whole. "