Group visits to Sandham Memorial Chapel
We accommodate pre- booked groups on our closed days - Mondays and Tuesdays so as to ensure that the whole group has the chapel, exhibition and garden to themselves and so we can give you our undivided attention.
We can offer talks by extremely knowledgeable and passionate volunteers and are happy to tailor these to particular interest groups.
Our most popular talks cover:
- Stanley Spencer’s upbringing, education, war service and evolution of the “Holy Box”
- The Behrends who paid for the chapel and paintings
- Harry Sandham in whose name the chapel is now known and in his memory
- The design and building of the chapel
- The creation of the paintings
- Spencer’s life after Sandham
- Explanation, interpretation and critique of the paintings themselves.
" 'I really must thank you for arranging everything to run so smoothly yesterday. We all had a most enjoyable visit. The paintings are really very interesting and spectacular. They were well worth a visit' "
The talks vary in cost from £4 - £6 per head in addition to entry at a reduced rate of £8 per head or free to National Trust members.
Groups usually vary in size and we are happy to accommodate the smallest of 8 up to a coach party of 50.
The size of the chapel and ensuring everyone has a special experience means we limit each group to about 20-25 people.
In the case of larger groups, while half are in the chapel, the other half can enjoy the garden, look around the exhibition area or arrangements can be made at the local pub ( not National Trust) for beverages or lunch.