Group visits to Sandham Memorial Chapel
We accommodate pre- booked groups on our closed days - Mondays and Tuesdays so as to ensure that the whole group has the chapel, exhibition and garden to themselves and so we can give you our undivided attention.
We can offer talks by our extremely knowledgeable and passionate guides and are happy to tailor these to particular interest groups.
Our most popular talks cover:
- Stanley Spencer’s upbringing, education, war service and evolution of the “Holy Box”
- The Behrends who paid for the chapel and paintings
- Harry Sandham in whose name the chapel is now known and in his memory
- The design and building of the chapel
- The creation of the paintings
- Spencer’s life after Sandham
- Explanation, interpretation and critique of the paintings themselves.
" 'I really must thank you for arranging everything to run so smoothly yesterday. We all had a most enjoyable visit. The paintings are really very interesting and spectacular. They were well worth a visit' "
Our group admission rate of £8 per person applies to groups of 15 people or more visiting outside our standard opening hours; admission is free for National Trust members.
Talks vary in cost from £4 - £6 per head in addition to entry charges.
We know that groups vary in size and we are happy to accommodate anything from smaller groups up to a coach party of 50.
Given the intimate nature of the space, we limit the number of people in the chapel to between 20-25 at any one time; this ensures that everyone gets the most from their visit.
In the case of larger groups, while half are in the chapel, the other half can enjoy the garden, look around the exhibition area, take our self-led walk around the village or visit the village pub (not National Trust) for tea, coffee or lunch.