Seaton Delaval Hall's marble floor
A disastrous fire in 1822 left the Central Hall at Seaton Delaval Hall roofless and open to the elements for 40 years. Unfortunately the black and white tiled floor fell victim and became damaged.
So in a sense we like to think we are continuing the work of John Dobson, the famous 19th century architect, who in the 1860′s re-roofed and stabilised the building.
With the slabs unstable and loose, so much so that every time they were walked on there was risk of them moving against each other and chipping the edges, this was an unavoidable part of the restoration project.
The talented stone masons have carefully numbered, plotted the position of and lifted every black and white stone slab from the floor. Once lifted, all the numerous cracked and shattered slabs have been painstakingly bonded together again using resin adhesives mixed with pigment and stainless steel dowels have been added to give them strength.
The original three layers of screed have been replaced where they had been weathered to nothing, and the floor re-laid, with each slab returned to its original position. the final work is replacing those that were too badly damaged to be re-used.
With due consideration, small samples were compared with the originals and whilst allowing for several hundred years of wear and dirt, not to mention the variety of effects produced by the fire, we have at last found Carrera Marble and black limestone that seems to match the originals closely. Supported by SITA.