The Walled Garden
Designed by Samuel Wyatt, the Grade II Listed Walled Garden was built 1805-06 to replace a kitchen garden that sat closer to the mansion.
At the time (early 1800s), this new Walled Garden would have been at the cutting edge of farming innovation, from its trapezoid shape to catch as much sun as possible, to its steam-heated walls for growing peaches and pineapples and the underground mushroom house. It employed around 20 gardeners, six days a week and each earnt 1s 8d a day.
“A kitchen garden of several acres is walled and subdivided, the walls well-stored with the choicest fruit-trees, with very extensive ranges of hot-houses, in which the pineapple, the grape, the peach, the fig, and other varieties of hot-house fruits, flowers and plants are cultivated in the highest of protection. One of the hot houses is heated with steam, in which melons and cucumbers are produced in perfection at all seasons.
The gardens are a kind of Academy for the study of Horticulture, in which young men enter themselves to assist without pay, for the purpose of improving themselves and gaining knowledge in the art.”
William Pitt, A Topographical History of Staffordshire, 1817
Today, the Walled Garden still includes the Gardener’s House, though the original conservatories have since been lost.
We are currently working on a plan to restore the Walled Garden and its Slip Gardens (the smaller gardens around the outside where fruit trees would have been grown) once the rest of the Walled Garden (which is currently leased to Staffordshire County Council) is handed back to us in three years’ time.