Caring for the Stourhead countryside
With a 2650 acre estate and a diverse landscape, it takes a lot to look after the place. We have a small but fabulous team of rangers who are out caring for the estate every day.
The work of our rangers includes:
- Water quality testing across the property and estate
- Liaising with and assisting our tenant farmers
- Protecting and conserving our archaeology
- Improving and managing our environmental practices
- Wildlife protection and encouragement eg. tree sparrows and dormice
- Managing the wild deer herd on the estate
- Forestry work and tree surveying.
We have a fantastic team of volunteer rangers who help manage Stourhead's 2,650 acres of countryside. They have worked on everything from new pathways to wildlife conservation. Email us about volunteering at Stourhead.
How you can help us
- Dogs are welcome on the estate but take care around grazing livestock
- Please clear up your dog’s mess on paths or in well-trodden areas
- Please keep to permissive footpaths when crossing working farmland
- Where safe, avoid walking on well-trodden areas, to minimise erosion
- Leave gates as you find them or follow instructions on signs
- Please park in designated areas, and avoid parking on verges
Thank you and we hope that you enjoy exploring the wilder side of Stourhead.