Visiting Stourhead: what you need to know
The outdoor spaces, shop and restaurant (take-away only) at Stourhead are open. To ensure everyone's safety, we've reduced the number of people we can welcome at one time and you'll need to book your visit in advance. In this article you’ll find everything you need to know about what's open and what to expect.
What your visit will look like
We have social distancing measures in place to keep everyone safe. Here are the key points, and you can find out more later in this article:
- Pre-booked visits: You'll need to pre-book your tickets online (available up to an hour before visiting) or by calling 03442 491895. You’ll be turned away if you arrive without a booking.Your pre-booked timed entry ticket provides access to the garden and parkland. The house is currently closed.
- Parking: Parking for pre-booked ticket holders is in the main car park.
- Garden: open with a waymarked, one-way route through the garden with clear signage across the site.
- House: the house is now closed until further notice.
- Toilets: the toilets in the top courtyard and spread eagle courtyard are open and cleaned throughout the day, meaning we may need to close them temporarily.
- Shop: the shop is now open daily. Whether you are looking for the perfect gift, a treat for yourself or a memento of your visit, you are sure to find something to tempt in our shop or plant centre.
- Food: Our restaurant (take-away only) and outdoor kiosk are open daily and will initially be serving a limited range of takeaway hot and cold drinks and some light snacks. We’ve introduced new safety measures including closure of our seating areas, screens at our till and collection points, and waymarked routes. We’ll also only be accepting card payment.
- Mountain trike wheelchairs for hire: A limited number of mountain trike wheelchairs are available to hire without charge. Please book in advance by emailing Stourhead.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Shuttle bus, garden buggy: We are sorry but our shuttle bus and garden buggy are not currently running.
- Dogs: are welcome in the garden and on the wider estate during daytime opening all year round. Dogs must always be kept on short leads.
When you arrive
- Please have your ticket to hand, and show it to any member of staff who asks for it when you arrive.
- If you are a member with a booking, we'll also ask for you to show your membership card.
- If you’re more than 10 minutes late for your arrival slot then entry will be at the discretion of the property team.
To help keep everyone safe, please follow social distancing and government guidance when you visit.
We have introduced a one-way route around the garden and some routes may have changed. Please look out for signs while you’re here which will explain any changes to how you can access different parts of the site.
If you’re showing any of the symptoms of coronavirus, or if you've been in contact with anyone that has the virus in the last 14 days, please don’t visit.
Please bring a face covering
In line with government guidance, you're required to wear a face covering in most enclosed spaces, unless exempt. Please bring one with you.
We'll be asking you to keep to the set one-way route around the site. Stourhead has a variety of gradients and surfaces, but we have done our best to create a route that can be used by all. A limited number of mountain trike wheelchairs are available to hire without charge. Please book in advance by emailing Stourhead.email@example.com.
You can see further details on all the routes in the access statement, and please speak to the team on arrival about your access needs.
Please be aware that the shuttle bus and garden buggy are not currently running.
How to book
- Please book one ticket per person, except for children aged 5 or under as they don’t need a ticket.
- You’ll need to choose a 30-minute arrival time for the day you want to visit.
- The timeslot is for your arrival time
- Tickets are for your use only and are not available for resale
- We'll send your booking confirmation by email. Please make sure you fill in your correct email address when you book to ensure you receive your confirmation email.
Every Friday we'll release new bookings for visits the following week. You can book up to an hour before visiting.
Due to limited spaces, we’re asking that you only book once a week to allow others a chance to visit.
Help support key workers
To say thank you to our nation's key workers and all they have done for us, we're encouraging visitors to keep the first and last slots of each day free for key workers to use. While we are unable to 'reserve' these slots exclusively for key workers, we hope you will join us in thanking them by leaving these times free. If you or someone in your group are a key worker, please take the opportunity to book these early and late timeslots.
Changing your booking
If your plans change and you can’t make your timeslot, you can easily change or cancel your booking. We really appreciate you doing this as soon as possible so the tickets can be made available for other visitors.
If you’re a member, the option to cancel or change your booking can be found in your confirmation email by selecting ‘view and manage your order online' underneath your order summary.
For non-members, please ring us on 0344 249 1895 to discuss changing your booking.