Visiting Treasurer's House - what you need to know
Join an hour long guided tour to uncover the history of Treasurer’s House and more about the man who created it. Spend time in the award winning garden and see what's in the shop around the corner.
Treasurer's House will re-open on Monday 17 May 2021.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
You will need to pre-book your ticket via the What's On - bookings open on Friday for the following week and close late afternoon the day before.
Access for everyone
If you need to bring a carer or essential companion to accompany you as a disabled visitor, you can now book a carers ticket at the time of booking, free of charge.
When you arrive
- Have your booking details and membership card or payment to hand.
- Visitors are asked to arrive 10 minutes before their timed ticket to allow house tours to start promptly.
- You are welcome to visit the garden anytime to suit you, until 4pm.
- Please leave any bags larger than a handbag and pushchairs in one of the city centre left luggage facilities as you will not be able to carry it with you nor are we able to store on your behalf.
What to expect on your visit...
- To help keep everyone safe, please follow social distancing and government guidance when you visit. Look out for signs while you’re here which will explain any changes to how you can access different parts of the site.
- You will need to wear a mask for the tour unless you are exempt, please bring one with you.
- Track and trace is in place in the house, please scan the QR code or leave your details on your arrival.
- Some paths and entrances are narrow, please give way to visitors coming towards you to help everyone keep a safe distance.
- If you’re showing any of the symptoms of coronavirus, or if you've been in contact with anyone that has the virus in the last 14 days, please don’t visit.
What is open?
The house of treasures
Mr Green, the curiously eccentric owner of Treasurer’s House, created his version of an historic house. He mixed different architectural styles and time periods alongside a remarkable collection of antiquities and art to create the house you see today.
Book your place on a small group tour to discover more about the man, his house and his collection.
Please note due to the nature of the house, most of the rooms are accessed by stairs only. See the facilities and access information for full details ahead of booking.
Award winning city garden
With an enviable position right next door to York Minster, the small garden offers a calming space to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Stay a while either side of your tour or drop in when you're next in the city; the garden is free to visit on open days.
What is different?
The cafe and small shop in the basement are closed.
- You can still pick up a purchase on your visit at the large city centre shop around the corner on Goodramgate.
- The toilet is available by request please ask at admissions. Access is via stairs only.
- The ghost cellar and rooftops tours are not currently running.
How to book
The safety of our staff, volunteers and visitors from the local community remains our priority and we urge you to book your visits in advance. Every Friday we release new bookings for visits the following week.
- Entry is free for members, but please bring your membership card with you. Non-members will need to pay in advance.
- Please book one ticket per person, except for children aged 5 or under as they don't need a ticket.
- You'll need to choose a tour start time for the day you want to visit. This is the time for the start of the tour - please arrive 10 minutes early to enable a prompt start.
- Bookings are for your use only and are not available for resale.
- We'll send your booking confirmation by email. Please make sure you fill in your correct email address when you book to ensure you receive your confirmation email.
Changing your booking
If your plans change and you can’t make your timeslot, you can easily change or cancel your booking. We really appreciate you doing this as soon as possible so the tickets can be made available for other visitors.
If you’re a member, the option to cancel or change your booking can be found in your confirmation email by selecting ‘view and manage your order online' underneath your order summary.
For non-members, please ring us on 0344 249 1895 to discuss changing your booking.