Visiting Treasurer's House - what you need to know
Join an hour long guided tour to uncover the history of Treasurer’s House and more about the man who created it. Spend time in the award winning garden and see what's in the shop around the corner.
On weekdays you don’t always need to pre-book your visit. At busier times, like weekends and school holidays, booking is recommended to guarantee entry.
Tour numbers are limited, without a booking you might need to wait for the next available space.
Access for everyone
If you need to bring a carer or essential companion to accompany you as a disabled visitor, you can now book a carers ticket at the time of booking, free of charge.
Please note due to the nature of the house, most of the rooms are accessed by stairs only, including the toilets. See the facilities and access information at the top of the homepage for full access details ahead of booking.
When you arrive
- Have your booking details and membership card or payment to hand.
- Please arrive promptly for the beginning of your chosen time slot. Due to the checking in process, your tour will begin at the end of your chosen time slot.
- You are welcome to visit the garden anytime to suit you, from 12 noon until 4pm, for 3pm tours the garden is only available beforehand.
- Please leave any bags larger than a handbag, and pushchairs in one of the city centre left luggage facilities as you will not be able to carry it with you nor are we able to store on your behalf.
What to expect on your visit...
- Look out for signs while you’re here which will explain any changes to how you can access different parts of the site.
- Face coverings are not compulsory but we recommend that you wear one in any area on your visit that is enclosed and crowded.
- A QR code will be available for visitors wishing to track and trace.
- If you’re showing any of the symptoms of coronavirus, or if you've been in contact with anyone that has the virus in the last 10 days, please don’t visit.
What is open?
The house of treasures
Mr Green, the curiously eccentric owner of Treasurer’s House, created his version of an historic house. He mixed different architectural styles and time periods alongside a remarkable collection of antiquities and art to create the house you see today.
Take your place on a small group tour to discover more about the man, his house and his collection.
Award winning city garden
With an enviable position right next door to York Minster, the small garden offers a calming space to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Stay a while either side of your tour or drop in when you're next in the city; the garden is free to visit on open days.
What is different?
The cafe and small shop in the basement are closed.
- You can still pick up a purchase on your visit at the large city centre shop around the corner on Goodramgate.
- The toilet is available by request please ask at admissions. Access is via stairs only.
- The ghost cellar and rooftops tours are not currently running.
How to book
Every Thursday we release new tickets for the following week or so.
- Entry is free for members, but please bring your membership card with you. Non-members will need to pay in advance.
- Please book one ticket per person, except for children aged 5 or under as they don't need a ticket.
- You'll need to choose a tour start time for the day you want to visit. This is the time for the start of the tour - please arrive on time to enable a prompt start.
- Bookings are for your use only and are not available for resale.
- We'll send your booking confirmation by email. Please make sure you fill in your correct email address when you book to ensure you receive your confirmation email.
Changing your booking
If your plans change and you can’t make your timeslot, you can easily change or cancel your booking. We really appreciate you doing this as soon as possible so the tickets can be made available for other visitors.
If you’re a member, the option to cancel or change your booking can be found in your confirmation email by selecting ‘view and manage your order online' underneath your order summary.
For non-members, please ring us on 0344 249 1895 to discuss changing your booking.