Top tips for wildlife watching
Wicken Fen is a wonderful wildlife haven with over 9000 recorded species. Here are some top tips to help you make the most of your wildlife adventures.
- Get yourself some binoculars - a set of 8x40 binoculars are perfectly adequate.
- If you're a beginner a good Field Guide is a really good idea to help you identify your sightings. Our staff & volunteers in the Visitor Centre will also do their best to help identify any species you see.
- Wear neutral colours so you blend in with the surrounding landscape. Remember it can be cold in the early morning so have plenty of warm clothes & waterproofs in case the weather turns nasty. Don't forget the sunblock for those hot summer days.
- Early morning and late evening or dusk can be the best time for spotting wildlife - many species rest during the heat of the day.
- Check the Sightings Book in the Visitor Centre and don't forget to record your own sightings. If anything rare or unusual turns up we'll do our best to update our website and post on Facebook & Twitter as soon as possible. Another good site to follow is the Cambridgeshire Bird Clubs What's About Blog
- Be patient - remember we're talking about wildlife not caged zoo animals. You'll never forget the first time you get really close to a wild animal or see something really unusual for the first time.