Roses in an Arts & Crafts garden
Roses were the pinnacle of an Arts & Crafts garden, the English rose was a symbol of Tudor and Medieval England and spoke of the nostalgia of this idyllic past.
" Of all the flowers which repay the provision of a separate garden and individual treatment, the rose by popular consent has first and unquestioned claims to special consideration"
Roses at Wightwick pre-date Mawson's involvement with designing the garden, we know that 400 roses were planted on a single occasion in the 1890's. It's not clear where these beds of roses would have been as the garden has changed so much since those early days when Theodore and Flora laid out the garden to their own design.
However when Mawson took over the half completed plans of Alfred Parsons in 1905 he used roses to set off the focal areas of the formal garden and the terrace with its wooden balustrade. The roses which bloom here now are 'Ingrid Bergmann' with its deep passion red, 'Constance Finn' and 'Iceberg' which is strikingly white.
The eight beds of roses you walk through on the path towards the house we're restored in 2012, the diamond jubilee year of Elizabeth II, which is why we chose 'Queen Elizabeth' as one of the varieties to plant. This planting scheme is very clear in old photographs of the area, although at that time there wasn't a yew hedge on the top of the wall.
Climbing roses are also a feature of the garden; the yellow Banksia rose grows around the Drawings room south bay; rosa glauca is to the right of the front door. 'Parkdirektor Riggers' grows up the posts in the formal garden and 'Gertrude Jekyl' always makes a trip to the kitchen garden worthwhile.