Nothing remains today of any buildings which might have been on the site, but we do know that Baddesley had Saxon origins.
The Anglo-Saxon settlement of England began in the mid-fifth century after the fall of the Roman Empire. At some point a man called Baeddi, Badde or Bade, probably a farmer from the Avon Valley, drove his cattle up to the Forest of Arden and made a clearing in the wood for extra grazing. It would have been protected from predators with a ditch and wooden palisade. Such a clearing was known as a “leah” or “ley” – hence Badde’s Ley. Some sort of homestead may have been built of timber or stone at a later date.
" This seat and soyle from Saxon Bade, a man of honest fame, Who held it in the Saxon’s tyme of Badesley took the name "
Henry Ferrers then tells us that at the time of Edward the Confessor (who reigned from 1042 to 1066) Baddesley was owned by one Wrox “a man of some renowne”. Nothing more is known about Wrox, but there is a nearby village of Wroxall, so there might well be a connection.
After the Norman Conquest, the estate was granted to Geoffrey de Wirce “of noble birth” and later to Nigel d’Albini “an Andegavanian knighte”.
By this time a small hamlet had grown up, now completely lost though some earthworks can still be seen just north west of St Michael’s Church.
The estate, including the hamlet, formed part of the manor of Hampton-in-Arden, which had been granted to the de Mowbray family after the Norman Conquest. In about 1100 the then Lord of the Manor, Roger de Mowbray, gave the Baddesley estate to one Walter de Bisege of whom very little is known. Baddesley remained in the Bisege family for four generations until Walter’s great-granddaughter, Mazera, who was heir to the property, married Sir Thomas de Clinton in about 1290, and Henry Ferrers makes it clear that “in that time the name of Baddesley Clinton was begun”.