Busy Bank Holidays and sunny weekends at Charlecote
It's not a decision we've taken lightly, but we will close Charlecote to new visitors for an hour or two on the days that we reach capacity. Please expect this to happen on Bank Holidays and sunny weekends.
Visitor numbers to Charlecote are increasing every year. While we are thrilled that so many people love this place as much as we do, we also have to take many things into consideration for the benefit of our visitors and Charlecote itself.
Primarily for safety reasons, we will close for an hour or two (generally late morning/early afternoon) when we reach capacity in the property itself.
This isn't about car parking spaces, so please don't park on the village verges and expect to be admitted - no new visitors will be able to come in.
We will post messages live on social media so you know what is happening.
August Bank Holiday
From 26-28 August the house will be open by timed ticket only. Tickets are not bookable in advance and are likely to be all distributed by around midday each day. Collect your tickets in Visitor Reception on your way in.
So, why do we close?
- Your safety is important to us and we need to keep visitor numbers manageable in all our indoor areas, including shops and tea room.
- We must at all times look after the fragile and precious objects in the house.
- You'll be able to chat to our room guides about the house, family and artefacts; otherwise they are just managing crowds.
Buggies and rucksacks just don't mix with fragile artefacts. You'll be asked to leave pushchairs and large bags in the porch, but please bear in mind that space can be limited on busy days. Perhaps stagger your look around the house with other members of your group so you can all enjoy your visit.
- Our deer and sheep can become stressed around large crowds of people. You'll be able to get closer to the deer.
- Our paths and grass throughout the grounds deteriorate quickly under thousands of feet and then become muddy when it rains. It takes time - and money - to repair and recover.
- Our hard-working staff and volunteers in catering and retail will be better able to help and serve you - and the queues will be kept shorter for you.
- Managing our visitor numbers helps all the loos to cope too!
We are open from 10.00am until 6.00pm so there's plenty of time to enjoy your visit if you arrive early or after around 3.00pm. Whether you're local or on holiday in the area, if you are able to visit midweek you'll find Charlecote is much quieter then.