New Year's Day Dip
For years swimmers have been turning up to swim in Windermere on New Year’s Day, and this year we decided it would be the perfect opportunity to celebrate the National Trust’s 125th birthday. We’d like to encourage 125 brave swimmers to take a dip in Windermere! Here are the essentials you'll need to know for the day...
- This is a free, drop-in event. No need to book, just turn up at 10am if you'd like to take part.
- The whole event runs from 10am - 2pm. Registration is between 10 - 11am, at which time swimmers will be given a timeslot to enter the water.
- Wetsuits will be available to hire for £5 if you'd like one.
- Due to the rocky nature of the lake bed we advise that you wear shoes.
- Active Base changing rooms will be open for anyone to use.
- Active Base clubhouse will be used as a “warming” area, as it's not advisable to jump directly into a hot shower once being in the lake. This way, participants will be able to slowly warm up in a comforatble space before showering.
Options for swimmers
Those who are dipping have two options:
- A short 30 metre swim course
Participants will enter from one slipway, in our boatyard, then navigate around our jetties and exit at another slipway – we ask that spectators keep clear from the boatyard and instead view from the Active Base balcony.
- Just a Dip
There will be a 'dip' area where those who are less inclined to swim but still want to take part will be able to. This will be held on the grass banking of the Active Base over flow car park. Spectators to view from the banking within the overflow car park.
Want to stay cosy with a coffee?
- The Boathouse Café we be open as usual (10am - 4pm) - the perfect spot to stay warm, enjoy a brew, and wait for your loved ones.
Wood Fired Pizza
- We'll also have the Pizza oven fired-up serving our fresh pizza from 11am – 2pm.
View our pizza menu here. (PDF / 0.5MB) download
- Park run will also be taking place at 9:30am on New Years Day.
- Please bear in mind that in the event of bad weather conditions or unsuitable lake levels, this event may be cancelled.
- Anyone under the age of 18 must be supervised.