Light up your evenings at Fountains by Floodlight
Wander through glowing ruins, under shadowy archways and hear music ringing through the cellarium this autumn. Join us between Monday 19 - Sunday 25 October to have an after-dark experience you won’t forget.
Fountains by Floodlight is a feast for all your senses...
Fountains by Floodlight will be a little different this year...
The event will run every evening between Monday 19 October - Sunday 25 October. Booking is essential for this event and tickets will be released on Friday 16 October.
The tickets are staggered at half hour intervals throughout the day to help ensure social distancing is maintained. Make sure you're set and ready to book - once they're gone, they're gone!
Watch as the night sky falls over the abbey and ruins start to glow with light.
There won't be a choir this year but soak up the atmosphere as recorded music echoes throughout the ruins. It's an experience you won't forget.
Have an evening adventure with your family
Are you looking for something to do with your family this autumn? Pick up a torch and come to explore the ruins of Fountains Abbey under the stars. Play your biggest ever game of hide and seek in all the corners of the shadowy ruins - there's lots of places to hide.
Fill your tummy
Mill Cafe will be open late so you can warm up with hot drinks and sweet treats until 8pm and the visitor centre restaurant will be open until 5.30pm. Or you can grab some hot food from Mill Yard. You'll be able to choose from Pie and Tap, Toast of Harrogate and Posh Dogs.
Frequently asked questions
It's a really popular event so take a minute to read over these FAQs to get clued up on what's going on.
What dates can I come to Fountains by Floodlight on?
Monday 19 October - Sunday 25 October
How much is it to get in?
National Trust and English Heritage members have free entry.
English Heritage members please book as a National Trust member, inputting EH in front of your membership number. Essential Companion card holders do not need to book a ticket, whilst those being cared for can book online. Maxcard holders please book a members’ ticket and enter MAXCARD into the membership field.
The below ticket prices are normal admission, allowing entry at your pre-booked timed slot.
Family (One adult), £19.50
Do I need to book?
Yes, you'll need to pre-book your timed entry. You can book your place from Friday 16 October on the website here or you can book over the phone with our booking office on 03442 491 895. Please note, we're not able to take bookings at the property.
Do I need to arrive in my pre-booked time slot?
Yes, to ensure that there's plenty of space to allow for social distancing you will need to arrive within your pre-booked time.
What time does it start?
- When it gets dark! The lights will be on from 5pm.
- Please arrive within your half hour timed slot on your ticket.
- The last timed slot is 7-7.30pm.
- Car parks close at 9pm .
Where can I park?
- Parking is at the visitor centre.
- West Gate is for disabled parking only - please ring ahead once you've booked your ticket to let us know if you require level access into the grounds.
- You will not be able to access the site via Studley Royal.
What do I need to bring?
- Please bring a torch so you can see as you walk around.
- We recommend sturdy footwear for exploring in the dark on uneven ground.
Can I get something to eat?
- Yes. Toast of Harrogate, Posh Dogs and Pie and Tap will be serving hot food to take away.
Can I use cash?
You won't be able to use cash on your visit. It's card only please.
Will there be a choir?
This year it will be recorded music only.
Can I explore the whole site at Fountains by Floodlight?
- You can explore the whole estate during day light hours but once darkness falls please stay by the abbey. Please stick to the path as there are steep slopes and bodies of water on the estate.
Can I bring my dog?
- You're welcome to bring your dog on a short lead.
Is the shop open?
- The shop is open until 8.30pm for you to pick up some early Christmas presents.
Are there any other details that I may need to know?
- Snap away and take as many photos as you want to. We'd love to see them - you can share them with us using the links at the bottom of this page. Please note that drones are not allowed onsite.
Follow us on Twitter
Keep up with the latest news and events from Fountains Abbey on Twitter.
Like us on Facebook
Find out all the latest news, behind the scenes photos and what events are on by giving us a Like on Facebook.
Tag us on Instagram
We love photos - and especially photos of Fountains Abbey. If you snap some great pictures tag us or use #fountainsabbey. Follow us to keep up to date on what's going on around the estate.