Light up your evenings at Fountains by Floodlight
Wander through glowing ruins, under shadowy archways and listen closely for the choir song ringing through the cellarium through autumn. Join us on select dates every October to have an after-dark experience you won’t forget.
Fountains by Floodlight is a feast for all your senses...
Explore the illuminated ruins of the abbey and the garden statues and follies will be lit up, too. As you follow the trail of light to the garden, stop and look back. You'll be able to see the light dominating the night sky, shining up from the ruins.
Listen to the choirs
Join in with the choirs at 7pm in the abbey cellarium. Is it a song you know? Blast it out and help them to fill the cellarium with song.
Dates and choirs for 2020 to be confirmed
Have an evening adventure with your family
Pick up a torch and come to explore the ruins under the stars. Play your biggest ever game of hide and seek in all the corners of the shadowy ruins - there's lots of places to hide.
You can dress up as a monk for the evening on a family abbey tour. Get into character, slip on a habit and step back in time to find out what it would’ve been like to be a monk at Fountains Abbey. If you’re lucky you might even catch a glimpse of the mysterious roving monk…
Fill your tummy
Mill Cafe will be open late so you can warm up with hot drinks and sweet treats. Or you can grab some hot food from Mill Yard. Food for 2020 will be confirmed nearer the time.
Frequently asked questions
It's a really popular event so take a minute to read over these FAQs to get clued up on what's going on.
What dates can I come to Fountains by Floodlight on?
- Dates to be confirmed in 2020
How much is it to get in?
Prices to be confirmed in 2020
National Trust and English Heritage members have free entry.
Do I need to book?
No need to book. You pay as you come in.
What time does it start?
- Entry is between 5pm-8pm from the visitor centre and West Gate.
- The estate closes at 9pm so if you're in the garden you'll need to be making your way back to your car around 8.30pm.
Last entry is at 8pm and we won't be able to process any payments after this time. Please take this into account if you're travelling far for this event and leave in plenty of time.
Where can I park?
- You can park for free at the visitor centre. West Gate is for disabled parking only.
- You will not be able to access the site via Studley.
- If it's been a lovely day our carparks can get very busy so please car share as much as possible. Keep an eye on our social media, linked below, to see if we have any updates on the car parking.
What can I do at Fountains by Floodlight?
- There's a family tour at 5.30pm and a guided abbey tour at 6pm.
- The choirs will be singing between 7-8pm.
- Tuck into a selection of tasty food.
- Explore the floodlit ruins and walk down to the gardens to see the follies and statues lit up.
What do I need to bring?
- Please bring a head torch so you can see as you walk around.
- We recommend sturdy footwear for exploring in the dark on uneven ground.
- Warm clothes - it can get a bit chilly when you're standing listening to the choir.
- Your singing voice for joining in with the choir!
Can I get something to eat?
- Yes but we will confirm what's available nearer the time.
Can I explore the whole site at Fountains by Floodlight?
You can explore the whole of the abbey and follow the path down to the water garden. Please do stick to the path. There are steep slopes and bodies of water in the garden.
Can I bring my dog?
- You're welcome to bring your dog but please keep it on a lead. You'll find drinking bowls at the visitor centre, West Gate and Mill Café.
Is the shop open?
- The shop is open until 8.30pm for you to pick up some early Christmas presents.
Are there any other details that I may need to know?
- On some of the earlier Fountains by Floodlight dates, you may not see the abbey in full darkness until later in the evening.
- Snap away and take as many photos as you want to. We'd love to see them - you can share them with us using the links at the bottom of this page. Please note that drones are not allowed onsite.
Follow us on Twitter
Keep up with the latest news and events from Fountains Abbey on Twitter.
Like us on Facebook
Find out all the latest news, behind the scenes photos and what events are on by giving us a Like on Facebook.
Tag us on Instagram
We love photos - and especially photos of Fountains Abbey. If you snap some great pictures tag us or use #fountainsabbey. Follow us to keep up to date on what's going on around the estate.