Families at Ham House and Garden
Enjoy a stress-free day at Ham House and Garden with all the information you might need here to plan a great day out. Check out our What’s On page for extra special activities.
Keeping the kids entertained…
- Pick up one of our seasonal children’s trails available from the shop. Each holiday we put on different activities for children to enjoy something new about the season. Trails are interactive and aimed at all ages.
- Embrace the summer spirit with our beautiful wooden lawn games, to be found either in the Dairy or in wicker hampers dotted around the Outer Courtyard.
- If you fancy something more active, head to the Wilderness. Over a mile of hornbeam hedge arranged in an intricate geometric pattern, it is the perfect place to run around or play a game of hide and seek.
- The house is open 12- 4pm, with last entry at 3:30pm. You are free to enter at any time and tour at your own pace or ask one of our knowledgeable room guides and anything that takes your interest.
- Make sure you pick up one of our family packs at the front door. Filled with useful items such as binoculars, magnifying glasses and colourful feathers, our discovery packs are designed to help young visitors engage creatively with our historic mansion.
- Our youngest visitors can borrow an i-spy book and have fun spotting the objects from room to room and working out what they might have been for.
- Below stairs in the house is where the servants worked. Dress up like one of the servant costumes or play a seventeenth-century game. Activities and crafts are also often available in this room during school holidays. Check out our What’ On page to see what is happening.
- You might see someone working away in the kitchen or the still house where cures and remedies were once made. Ask them what they are making today.
- Head over to the café where we have children’s meals available alongside the usual favourites. Hot food is available 11:30am -2:30pm with teas, coffee and treats available all day.
- If you’re here for a picnic, the Outer Courtyard is the perfect place to set your hamper down. Make use of one of our picnic benches or spread out on our beautiful lawn, it’s up to you!
- On sunny weekends and holidays our ice cream parlour is open for a scoop of Jude’s finest flavours.
- Prams can be used in our grounds, shop and café, but cannot be taken inside the house for conservation reasons. They can be stowed under the covered arch at the front of the house. Hip carriers are available at the front door for you to use.
- Ask at visitor reception for a level access guide to the gardens so you can find your way step free. A ramp is also available in the café.
- The paths in the garden are mostly gravel and historic cobbles which can be difficult to scoot on. Our friendly team at visitor reception are happy to keep an eye on your scooters and balance bikes while you have fun. Bike racks to lock your bikes to are also available.
For the really little ones
- Toys and activities suitable for toddlers and young children can be found in the Outer Courtyard. Explore our Thames-themed stepping stones and engage in some imaginative play with our adorable new outdoor play kitchen which can be found in the Family Tasting Garden.
- Baby changing facilities are available in the women’s and disabled (gender neutral) loos opposite the shop.