Warren Cottage is a Grade II listed building, dating from the late 17th century, replacing a building from earlier in the century. Unusually for the area, it is built of brick.
A brick building
Warren Cottage is an attractive building located to the west of the central lake area, just inside the Warren earthwork. Unusually for the area, it is brick-built, rather than being half timbered, like Forest Lodge.
Bricks were normally reserved for fine country houses or limited to chimney stacks. The western end of Warren Cottage is dominated by a full sized chimney which houses a walk-in fireplace on the inside.
The brickwork is of high quality, using dark-red, hard bricks, with blue headers. The bricks were made locally, by Richard Wyborough of Little Hallingbury.
It was a high-status house, intended to impress travellers passing by on the former London Road, the main route traversing the forest.
The cottage is a Grade II listed building.
When was it built?
Records from 1639 indicate that then owner of Hatfield Forest, Lord Morley, was fined for "making Coney Burroughs and erecting a Cottage".
Later records indicate that a cottage was built of brick in the late 1680's when the estate was owned by Sir Edward Turnor. During this period there was a brief revival of interest in the Warren and an improved dwelling was provided for the warrener.
Cottage or House?
What is the correct name of the building? There seems to be some disagreement about whether it is Warren House or Warren Cottage.
The 1757 Hollingworth-Lander map of Hatfield Forest shows "Warren House". The Ordnance Survey maps, as far back as the first 6 inch edition of the 1870's, also refer to "Warren House", whilst the "The Last Forest" and National Trust literature refer to "Warren Cottage".
The cottage and its garden are private.