Our bees at Hinton Ampner
We love working with nature here at Hinton Ampner and our wildlife is very important to us. There have been honey bee hives at Hinton Ampner for over a hundred years - meet our beekeeper and find out all about our bees and managing the hives.
Did you know?
- A bee colony will fly around 55,000 miles to make 1 pound of honey.
- In a good season a hive will produce 60 pounds of honey.
- It takes the nectar from 2 million flowers to make 1 pound of honey.
- A queen bee is about twice the size of a worker bee.
- The queen honey bee can lay as many as 1000 eggs a day.
- Honey bees fly up to 15 mph and beat their wings 200 times per second.
- Queen bees can live for 3-4 years, workers only live 6-7 weeks.