Learning opportunities at Ilam Park, Dovedale and the White Peak
A school visit to the White Peak area of the Peak District offers a wealth of new and memorable outdoor experiences for children of all ages. Explore Dovedale valley, carry out a village survey in Ilam, or have a go at orienteering in Ilam Park.
Self led activities
- Village survey – take a short walk around the area to compare Ilam village with where you live. Visit the bonad in the church, the tomb of St. Bertram, and spot the Swiss style cottages in the village. Activity sheets available in advance for a small charge, please email Zoe Stevens.
- Minibeast hunt – discover the creatures that live in Ilam Park. Hire the equipment to do a minibeast hunt in the woods and record what you identify. Please email Zoe Stevens to book the equipment for your visit.
- Orienteering - a junior orienteering course in Ilam Park, ideal for complete beginners. The course takes up to an hour to complete. Maps available to purchase at a reduced price of £1 each if purchasing more than 10. Please reserve your orienteering maps here.
- Natural art – explore the park to find natural materials and get creative. Scavenge for natural items on the woodland floor and make your own art in the park.
- Peak District walk – discover the famous limestone valley of Dovedale. Buy a £1 walk postcard and enjoy a walk from Ilam Park to Dovedale valley. Cross the famous stepping stones and spot fossils in the limestone steps at Lover's Leap. For a whole day out, you can walk 3 miles from the stepping stones beside the river, stopping at Milldale for a picnic lunch, then returning using the same route.
- Ecton Mine – a lesson underground in the only copper mine in the Peak District.
A memorable experience discovering how Ecton hill made a fortune for the Duke of Devonshire of Chatsworth. Visit www.ectonhillfsa.org.uk
There are public toilets near the privately owned car park at Dovedale. The toilets are owned and managed by the Peak District National Park Authority. There is a 20p charge to use the toilet.
Between March to September the mobile Dovedale Barn offers a range of souvenirs, walk guides and maps and postcards for sale. Our team of friendly volunteers will be happy to recommend local walks to you.
There is an ice cream stall at Dovedale car park (not National Trust).
There are no litter bins along Dovedale valley so please take your litter home with you.
Get in touch
The Peak District National Park Authority offer organised activities and walks for schools, including at Dovedale and Ilam Park.