Spring at Ilam Park and Dovedale
Discover lambs, wildflowers, far reaching views and chocolate this spring.
There are lots of things to see and do this April in the White Peak.
- Walk across the fields from Ilam Park to Dovedale and spot lambs with their mothers. Spring is a busy time for the local farmers and you'll spot lambs across the landscape. Don't forget your wellies as the fields can be muddy.
- Take a walk along Paradise Walk in Ilam Park and see the carpets of wild garlic growing. Look up into the sky and you may see buzzards circling above Hinkley Wood too.
- Throughout April (except Easter weekend) you'll find a Spring Discovery Trail at Ilam Park for families. The trail will take you to some of the best spots in the park to tick of some of the 50 Things list, spot spring wildlife and enjoy this exciting time of the year for wildlife.
- Sit in the Italian Garden at Ilam Park and take in the views of the limestone hills towards Dovedale. There are benches available and it a popular photo opportunity.
- Join in the Cadbury Easter Hunt at Ilam Park over the Easter weekend. If you love exploring outdoors as a family, you will enjoy this self led trail around the park, it takes around 1 hour to complete. Charge of £3 per child. No need to book, just come along and we'll set you off with a map, clipboard and pencil. Dogs are very welcome to take part too, and they'll get a treat at the end too.
- Find the fossils on the steps at Lover's Leap in Dovedale. You can also spot them on the stepping stones but you'll have more time and space to study the 350 million year old fossils at Lover's Leap.
- Cycle along the Manifold valley and stop off for refreshments at Wetton Mill. Listen out for owls and buzzards as you cycle along this peaceful limestone valley, ideal for families.
- Take your dog for a walk beside the river Dove. There are now lambs in much of the area so please help us to minimise disturbance to the animals by keeping your dog on a lead.
- Try out orienteering at Ilam Park - the permanent course around the parkland is ideal for families and beginners. You can buy the orienteering map at the shop for £1.50 and it usually takes families about an hour to complete the course. Available daily, through the year.