Known as the 'shivering mountain' after the Bronze Age, Mam Tor continued to be used as a defensive structure.
Iron Age settlers built imposing hill forts on its summit. Iron Age quern stones have been found at various sites across the area, implying extensive arable farming at that time.
Kinder Mass Trespass
On 24 April 1932, Kinder, an area of private land, was invaded by approximately 400 people. These people were ramblers from the surrounding towns and villages.
They converged to launch a mass trespass in support of their access rights to the land. This event was monumental in gaining access rights for ramblers across the country. You can find out more about the Kinder Mass Trespass here
Upper Derwent Valley
1912–1916: Gothic-style dams were built to contain the waters of Howden and Derwent Reservoirs using 1.2 million tons of stone from Bole Hill Quarry.
1943: RAF bomber pilots flew secret practice runs along the Upper Derwent Valley. The Derwent and Howden reservoirs were used as stand-ins for the Ruhr dams of industrial Germany.
National Trust acquisitions
1.5 miles west of Chapel-en-le-Frith, the 6-acre summit of Eccles Pike was given by Mrs MM Spencer to commemorate the coronation of George VI. The remaining 29 acres was bought in 1990 with a gift from Mr GH Sugden.
Dalehead was bought with Derbyshire and Peak District Appeal funds and a Countryside Commission grant. It has been renovated and is now in use as a bunkhouse (group accommodation) sleeping 20 people.
Kinder Scout was purchased in 1982 with grants from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and the Countryside Commission, a bequest, and money from a special appeal by the Derbyshire and Peak District Appeal Fund.
Derwent and Howden moors, originally part of Hardwick Hall estates, were transferred to the National Trust through National Land Fund procedures.