Families at Lacock
There are lots of things in the abbey, grounds and garden for families to enjoy, as well as fun family events in the school holidays and half-terms. Please supervise your children at all times.
Family friendly checklist
Getting in and around
- Children under 5 go free.
- Pushchairs admitted around the grounds and in all catering outlets, though not in the house due to space restrictions.
- Children's scooters and bikes are not permitted in the Abbey grounds and gardens.
- Hip-carrying infant seats available for loan from the abbey.
- Baby-changing facilities in access friendly toilets in the courtyard at the abbey, and in the Red Lion car park toilets.
- Children’s menu available in the Stables café including a pick’n’mix lunch box; ice creams are available.
- Colouring crayons and activity sheets in the Stables café
- Highchairs available in the café and tea-room.
- Picnics allowed in the grounds and picnic benches in the Pound by the play area in the village.
Letting off steam
- Children's play area in village playing field, perfect for ball games.
- Ball games cannot be accommodated within the abbey grounds.
- Rope swing in the woodland garden.
- Changing self-led family trails in the grounds.
- Great family gifts and pocket money toys available in the shop.
Discover your favourite place
Nothing can beat a picnic on a sunny summer's day at Lacock Abbey with picnic spots to suit everyone.
Picnic benches in the Pound next to the village playing field means you can relax whilst the family enjoy the nearby playground.
Head to the botanic garden to picnic on the grass, or on the South Lawn by the abbey where you’ll find wide open spaces and also be in easy reach of the tea-room and toilets.
Take a walk and explore the village, and dip hot toes in the cold waters at Bide brook. See if you can spy the many dragonflies flitting around the water’s edge or the elusive heron that sometimes makes an appearance.
Find a shady spot amongst trees in the woodland garden, rose garden, rockworks, or go exploring and find your own special place.
Feeling energetic? Head out on one of our walks and venture further out into the village and countryside.