A brief history of Levant Mine

A view of Levant Mine, Cornwall

Levant Mine and Beam Engine is located within the St Just Mining District; one of the most ancient hard-rock tin and copper mining areas in Cornwall.

Please check the home page before visiting

This article was created before the Coronavirus crisis, and may not reflect the current situation. Please check our homepage for the most up to date information about visiting.

Copper and tin has been mined here for generations, and the mine workings of Levant extend over a mile out under the sea bed. In 1820, the Levant Mining Company was formed with a capital of £400, though Levant Mine first appeared on a map in 1748. By 1836, 320 men, 44 women and 186 children were employed on the site.
 

From a glorious heyday to tragedy and decline

In Levant's first 20 years of business, £170,000 was made from mining copper. New technology was introduced to streamline production, and in 1857 the now-infamous man engine was installed. This engine carried men many fathoms up and down the mine, to and from work each day.
 

Disaster underground

In 1919, the man engine suffered a disastrous failure when a link between the rod and the engine snapped, killing 31 men.
 
Levant experienced a steady decline and in 1930 the mine closed.
 

What did the mine produce?

  • Copper: the original focus of Levant's mining industry
  • Tin: there are two tin-dressing floors at the mine
  • Arsenic: a lucrative but deadly by-product of tin ore