Organising outdoor events and filming permissions on Marsden Moor: How To Guide

Buckstones Edge on Marsden Moor, West Yorkshire

If you are thinking about running an event which crosses National Trust land on Marsden Moor, please use our event application system to make the process simpler.

Marsden Moor is a beautiful, rugged landscape in West Yorkshire, which is enjoyed by thousands of people every year. We welcome events that encourage people to enjoy and look after this landscape. However we need to limit the type and amount of events to ensure this moorland is protected.

Making a successful event application

In order to give your application the highest chance of success, we suggest considering the following guidelines when preparing your event proposal:

  • avoid going off public rights of way during ground nesting bird season - 1st March to 31st July
  • avoid breeding and hibernation sites
  • avoid impact on archaeological features
  • avoid sensitive habitat sites such as blanket bogs and flushes
  • avoid paths/areas which are showing signs of impact
  • avoid moorland restoration areas
  • keep all dogs on a short lead at all times
  • have a parking agreement in place and ensure parking by will not disrupt other visitors and local residents and will not obstruct gateways (for parking at the Old Good's Yard, HD76DH, you will need permission from Kirklees Council)
  • consider use of public transport to alleviate congestion (Marsden railway station has direct trains to Manchester and Leeds)
  • have marshals at each gateway along the route for the duration of the event to ensure gates are closed and latches replaced
  • check if you need to inform other landowners (eg. Yorkshire Water own parts of the Wessenden Valley and the Canal and River's Trust own some of the reservoirs and surrounding land. The car park in the Old Good's Yard is owned by Kirklees Council)

Natural England consent

If you are planning to put up any structures at the event (gazebos, tents etc.),or break the ground, or if your route has the potential to damage a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) feature, there may be a need for us as the landowner, to apply to Natural England for consent for your event and offer you an Outdoor Activity Licence. Check whether your route crosses SSSI land on this map. Marsden Moor - SSSI Map (PDF / 1MB) download  The number of people walking or running on your route may also cause damage to a SSSI (for example if you do not stagger start times and the route becomes congested.)

Natural England has four months to process consent applications, though they aim to process them in 28 days. If you need a guarantee for your event application to be processed within 28 days you will need to use Natural England’s Fast Track service, for which there is a charge.

Please note we will only apply to Natural England if we are confident that the event satisfies the National Trust guidelines listed above and there is time for the application to be processed. However, Natural England consent is not always successful, therefore we strongly suggest that you wait for the outcome before advertising or selling tickets to your event. Please see the Natural England guidance: Natural England Guidance for SSSI Consent (PDF / 0.1MB) download

The next steps of the process

We encourage you to apply to us as early as a year in advance of the date you plan to advertise and sell tickets for your event. We appreciate this may not always be possible but ask that you do aim for at least six months prior to ticket sales.

Filming permissions on Marsden Moor

Marsden Moor has been been the setting for a few dramas and commercial shoots. However, many of the above restrictions apply, which will also need consent from Natural England. (eg. using generators, using vehicles, breaking ground etc) 

Please contact the National Trust film office in the first instance;

Drones on Marsden Moor

We do not allow drone flying on Marsden Moor except in very particular circumstances. This is to protect our visitors and our wildlife and farm aminals. We sometimes commission drones for wildlife surveys or filming, but pilots must have the full CAA license and PLI, as well as permission from the National Trust. More information about drones at National Trust properties.