Come out and play! Summer Activities for all the family at Mount Stewart
Visit us over the summer and get active with lots of things for families to see and do at Mount Stewart. Take a look at our list below and start planning your adventure.
Come out and play this summer. Whether you’re leaping into Wednesdays in the Woods or joining us for National Play Day we’ve got plenty of activities to keep the whole family entertained and help you create great memories together. What adventures will you have next?
Come out and play trail
Get active this summer at the Mount Stewart with something for all the family. Pick up your Come out and play challenge card from the courtyard outside Visitor Reception and choose your own adventure from 4th July to 28th August!
July & August
- Come Out and Play family fun trail - From the 4th July to 28th August, explore our fun packed family trail. Pick up your challenge card from the courtyard then head off around the lake where games and challenges await.
- Wednesdays in the Woods - Head up to the natural play area for wednesdays in the woods each wednesday from 4th July - 28th August (excluding 13th July) for a variety of fun activities and adventures (children must be accompanied by an adult).
- Wednesday 6th, 20th and 27th July
- Wednesday 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th August
- National Play Day - Join us and our special guests on the 3rd August, National Play Day for fun and games for all the family.
Get out and about and find another side to Mount Stewart
- Take a walk to our Natural Play Area and build a den, balance on our beams and see what magical creatures you can spot
- Climb up to the Temple of the Winds and take in the views of Strangford Lough
- Stroll up to our stunning Rose Garden and spend some time in quiet reflection while taking in the beautiful scents of our wonderful roses
- Head up toward the Red Squirrel Hide and see if you can spot some of our resident reds.
- Geocaching is an exciting outdoor adventure for the whole family and Mount Stewart demesne is full of hidden digital treasure. All you need is a hand-held GPS or smartphone and a sense of adventure.
- Go for a walk on our trails and head to the Glen Woodland to take a dive into some forest bathing
Download our property map here: Mount Stewart Property Leaflet 2021 (PDF / 4.8916015625MB) download
- Dogs on leads welcome in all areas. For off-lead fun for your four-legged friend, please use our dog exercise area located opposite our Shepherd's Hut.
Why not pop into our tea room on your visit and enoy selection of freshly made food and drink or pick up a snack to go from our Tea Room, Kiosk or horsebox? If you are looking for the perfect gift, or just a treat for yourself, our shop is open daily and offers a fantastic range for all the family.
Visit the Mansion House & Exhibition
Mount Stewart House is open daily from 11am (last entry 3.45pm). Enter to experience this stunning treasure house and find out more about the history of the Londonderry family. Don't miss the new exhibition in the house!
Enjoy our World Class Gardens
The garden reflects a rich tapestry of design and great planting artistry that was the hallmark of Edith, Lady Londonderry. The mild climate of Strangford Lough allows astonishing levels of planting experimentation. The formal areas exude a strong Mediterranean feel and resemble an Italian villa landscape; the wooded areas support a range of plants from all corners of the world, ensuring something beautiful blooming whatever the season.
Take time to explore the Demesne
Mount Stewart is an exceptional example of an Irish demesne, a beautiful and productive estate, with farmland, woodland, orchards and a walled garden providing for the ‘big house’. The demesne is home to five and half miles of walking trails through a truly magical landscape of woodlands and mixed farmland, set within the iconic rolling drumlin landscape of East Down.