History of Oxburgh Hall

A birdseye view of Oxburgh Hall

Despite being built during the Wars of the Roses, Oxburgh Hall was never intended to be a castle but a family home. It was completed in 1482 for Sir Edmund Bedingfeld and the family have lived at Oxburgh ever since.

Just two words can define Oxburgh: ‘survival’ and ‘continuity’. The hall was built about 1482 by rising courtier Sir Edmund Bedingfeld, whose family have lived here continuously for 500 often tumultuous years. The fact that the house still stands is an achievement in itself. It has survived a dreadful fire during the Civil War, periods of near dereliction and a threat of demolition.

The family’s unshakable Catholic faith and desire to preserve the memory of their ancient past are a potent combination. Both are expressed throughout this remarkable place in its architecture, collections and landscape and in its abundance of heraldic motifs. Add to these elements the family’s strong royal connections, and a powerful story unfolds. Click through the timeline to discover it.

 

 

 

Timeline

1086

Medieval Oxburgh

Oxburgh Hall is in the parish of Oxborough. Both spellings were interchangeable until recently, but now the spelling 'Oxburgh' is used only for the Hall and its estate. The names mean 'a fortified place where oxen are kept', and there has been a settlement here since at least 1086.

1274

The de Weyland family

There is no evidence for a manor house prior to the hall's construction by Sir Edmund Bedingfeld c.1482, but the de Weyland family are recorded as Oxburgh's owners in 1247.

Document granting the Oxburgh land to Robert De Weyland in 1346

1434

The Oxburgh land passes to the Tuddenham family

Thomas de Weyland, a deeply disliked man, was Edward I's chief justice, and took every opportunity to further his own interests. When his swindling ways were discovered, he was stripped of most of his lands and dismissed. He only held on to Oxburgh by putting it in his wife's name, from whom it passed to Sir Thomas Tuddenham in 1434