Visiting Powis Castle & Garden: What you need to know
To ensure the safety of our visitors, staff, volunteers and local communities, we've reduced the number of people we can welcome at one time and you’ll need to book your visit in advance. In this article you’ll find everything you need to know about what's open and what to expect from your visit.
Arrival and parking
Please park in the main car park and make your way to the large wooden cabin. Ensure you have your ticket (either on your phone or a printed copy) ready to show our staff and if you’re a member, you’ll also need to show your membership card.
If you are a blue badge holder and wish to use our disabled parking, continue past the main car park and use the small parking area on the right. Please show your ticket to the member of staff at the Garden Entrance.
In order to maintain social distancing, please arrive within your timeslot. Sadly, if you're more than 10 minutes late, we won’t be able to guarantee you entry. Your entry will be at the discretion of the property staff and will be based on visitor numbers and the ability to maintain social distancing.
Campervans that are used for transport are welcome but are not permitted to stay overnight. We’re unable to welcome caravans and coaches at this time.
There is no limit to the amount of time you can spend at Powis Castle & Garden during your visit.
The safety of our staff, volunteers and visitors is our priority. To ensure that social distancing is maintained we have set up new one-way routes round the property. Look out for the signs that will explain any changes to how you can access different parts of the site.
In line with government guidance, you're required to wear a face covering in most enclosed spaces from Monday 14 September. Please bring one with you.
To help keep everyone safe, please follow social distancing and government guidance when you visit. If you’re showing any of the symptoms of coronavirus, or if you've been in contact with anyone who has the virus in the last 10 days, please don’t visit.
- The Garden is open daily 10am - 5pm (last entry 4pm). Please note: assistance dogs only are welcome in the garden from March-October.
- The Courtyard Cafe (10am-5pm) and the Garden Coffee Shop (11am-4pm) are open and serving hot and cold drinks, cakes and light bites to takeaway only. Please note, we prefer card payments at present.
- The Courtyard Shop is open 10am-5pm.
- Toilets and baby changing facilities are available at the Garden Entrance and in the Formal Garden, with queues marked to maintain a safe one in/one out system. These are sanitised by our facilities team throughout the day.
- In line with Welsh Government legislation, the Castle and Clive Museum are currently closed.
Most of the one-way garden route follows hard-standing paths and there are several steps, but seating is available along the route to offer you a place to rest.
If you have accessibility requirements and need a shorter/step-free route of the garden, please talk to a member of staff at the garden entrance who will be happy to help.
Unfortunately, we're not able to offer a shuttle-bus service or wheelchair hire at this time. If you would like to speak to someone about level access to the garden, please call our Visitor Services team on 01938 551929.
Access with dogs
Assistance dogs only in the gardens from March-October.
Dogs on short leads are welcome in the car park and courtyard but please note: the wider estate is not owned by the National Trust and we ask you respect the landowner’s wishes by not taking your dog on this land.
Booking your visit
We've introduced advance booking to keep everyone safe and maintain social distancing. To avoid disappointment please book in advance, especially at busier times such as weekends and bank holidays. However, where space is available on weekdays, pre-booking may not always be necessary. If you do not book we cannot guarantee admission.
- Please book one ticket per person, except for children under five as they don’t need a ticket.
- You’ll need to choose a 30-minute arrival time for the day you want to visit.
- The timeslot is for your arrival time only and you are welcome to stay up until 5pm, should you wish.
- Tickets are for your use only and are not available for resale
- We'll send your booking confirmation by email. Please make sure you fill in your correct email address when you book to ensure you receive your confirmation email.
- Every Friday we'll release new bookings for visits the following week. You'll need to book your tickets by 3pm on the day before your visit.
- Carers can continue to access our places for free with an essential companions' card. Carers don't need to book a ticket for themselves, but the person they accompany will need a pre-booked ticket.
Due to limited spaces, we’re asking that you only book once a week to allow others a chance to visit.
Changing your booking
If your plans change and you can’t make your timeslot, you can easily change or cancel your booking. We really appreciate you doing this as soon as possible so the tickets can be made available for other visitors.
If you’re a member, the option to cancel or change your booking can be found in your confirmation email by selecting ‘view and manage your order online' underneath your order summary.
For non-members, please ring us on 0344 249 1895 to discuss changing your booking.