The glasshouse at Quarry Bank
Find out more about our magnificent curvilinear glasshouse which is now in the process of being restored.
By 1798, when the mill was well established, Samuel Greg moved his family from Manchester to the newly built Quarry Bank House. After their arrival, the Gregs soon began to develop the challenging terrain around the house into beautiful and productive gardens.
The Gregs created more formal gardens designed for pleasure, the landscaped Northern Woods for recreation, whilst up on the cliff top they created a walled kitchen garden to produce all the fruit and vegetables that the family’s 12 children, frequent guests, and several servants needed.
The centrepiece of the walled garden was a magnificent curvilinear glasshouse with a cast-iron frame. Its innovative design with modern technology, materials and the huge amount of glass sent a clear message to guests about their success and position in society.
The glasshouse is a very early example of an iron-framed hothouse, built sometime in the early 1830s. The use of cast iron strengthened its structure, made it longer lasting and enabled a curved domed roof to be created. This was very much an innovation making Quarry Bank’s curvilinear style very special.
The plant house’s high roof allowed for the cultivation of palms and other large exotic specimens, newly arrived in the country via the exploits of the Victorian plant hunters. The vineries were used to grow an array of produce including nectarines, grapes, peaches and strawberries.
To ensure successful growth an under-floor hypocaust system heated the glasshouse, linked to boilers which were kept stoked by garden boys.
The kitchen garden was in use until Ernest William Greg died in 1936 and the land was privately sold. The glasshouse was severely damaged by neglect before the National Trust was able to acquire it in 2010. Since this time we have cleared it out and made it secure, although it continues to deteriorate.
Restoration in progress
We pleased to announce that the restoration of the curvilinear glasshouse has begun. Using information from the archives including photographs, letters, diaries, maps and garden plant orders we can return the structure to its former glory.
Where possible, we will use original materials in the rebuilding process. New cast-iron glazing bars will each be individually re-cast using a mould made from a surviving bar and hand-made glass will be used to ensure an authentic restoration.
Thanks to your support restoration work started in October 2015. For more fascinating stories about the Quarry Bank Project visit the blog.