Sheringham Park is seen as the most complete, best preserved, example of Humphry Repton's work. He was commissioned by Abbot Upcher in 1812 to remodel the Sheringham landscape, presenting his proposals in his trademark Red Book. Successive generations of the Upcher family continued to develop the estate broadly following Repton's design.
The Upcher Family
Abbot & Charlotte
The young couple completed the purchase of Sheringham in July 1811. Abbot died aged 35 in 1819.
Henry Ramey Upcher
His name is etched into Sheringham history, a lifeboat in his name can still be seen in the town.
Henry Morris Upcher
He was an all-round sportsman, an excellent shot and a keen naturalist.
Sir Henry Edward Sparke Upcher
Inherited the estate in the lean years after WWI and took a great interest in farming.
Last owner of the estate, he improved the diversity of the rhododendron collection.
Cousin of the last owner Thomas Upcher, Mildred played a leading role in Sheringham acquisition by the National Trust.
When Abbot and Charlotte Upcher completed the purchase of Sheringham Park in 1811 they regarded the farmhouse on the site as unsuitable for their growing family.
In discussions with Repton, the Upchers suggested the new hall should face north in order to have a sea view. Repton argued for a position in the lee of the Oak Wood, writing in the Red Book 'The Sea at Sheringham is not like that of the Bay of Naples'. His view prevailed.
Sheringham Hall was designed by Humphry Repton's son John Adey. The foundation stones were laid in 1813 and by the end of 1816 the roof was completed. Abbott and Charlotte planned to move in during the summer of 1817, but during that year Abbot was struck down with a fever from which he never recovered, dying in 1819.
His wife Charlotte did not want to move into the hall and it was not until their eldest son Henry Ramey married in 1839 that the house was finally completed on a slightly more modest scale.
Sheringham Park has a rich industrial history with extensive management of timber, gravel and iron ore extraction.
North Norfolk has long been considered vulnerable to invasion. In WWII there were extensive fortifications. On the cliff edge are two pill boxes which covered an anti-tank ditch.