Early to mid 1800s
Henry Davis Pochin
When Victorian industrialist Henry Davis Pochin and his wife bought Bodnant at auction in 1874 it was an estate with walled garden, woods and plantations; it was Pochin's grand vision which shaped the garden into the world renowned one which we know today.
The Laburnum Arch
Pochin enlisted the skills of landscape designer Edward Milner to develop the formal Victorian shrub garden around the house, including the famous Laburnum Arch. He also sculpted the sloping valley sides down to the river, planting North American conifers and creating pathways to form the romantic dells and water gardens.
As a local landowner Pochin was no less active, building cottages on the Bodnant estate and improving farming practices.