The Puddle Family of Bodnant Garden
For 85 years the development of Bodnant Garden was a family affair, a partnership between the McLarens and their head gardeners, the Puddles.
When Frederick Puddle arrived at Bodnant as head gardener in 1920 it was the start of a dynamic new chapter for the garden. A talented horticulturalist, he shared his passion for plants with the 2nd Lord Aberconway, who was an active sponsor of global botanical expeditions.
With this influx of exotic new plants from Asia and South America they transformed the garden. They also worked closely together on the garden’s plant breeding programme producing many hybrids, especially rhododendrons, from these new plant discoveries. Frederick's skill took Bodnant Garden to gold success at several Chelsea Flower Shows and he was awarded the RHS Victoria Medal of Honour alongside his employer.
From 1947 Frederick's son Charles followed in his footsteps to become head gardener and was also awarded the RHS Victoria Medal of Honour for his horticultural achievements. Charles Puddle was at the helm when Bodnant Garden was given into the care of the National Trust in 1949.
Charles and his son Martin, who went on to be head gardener from 1982, steered Bodnant through this new era, during which time it became one of Britain's most famous gardens. The long family link was only broken when Martin died in 2005. The Puddle Garden close to our Visitor Welcome Centre was created in 2011 in tribute to these three men and is filled with the plants which they loved.
The challenge of following in the footsteps of the Puddles was taken up in 2007 by Troy Smith - who returned after working as a former student gardener at Bodnant. Our current head gardener John Rippin took over in 2015, coming from the National Trust gardens of Hidcote and Castle Drogo.