The Brownsea Seahorse is a landing craft, purchased by the National Trust in 2016 to support a variety of essential island operations but primarily, it enables wheelchair users access to the island.
Please note that the Brownsea Seahorse is an open vessel and therefore open to the elements and there are no facilities on board. The crossing takes approximately 10 mins.
The service frequency
The Seahorse is a bookable service, meaning it will only run when booked by visitors who wish to come. Below is a list of times when it is possible to run the service. Full payment will be taken at the time of the booking.
Our Seahorse landing craft sailing times have been carefully chosen primarily to fit in with tide times in Poole harbour. The craft requires at least a tide height of 1.75m at the Harbour Entrance to run a return trip safely.
As with all boat services to the island, this service may also be cancelled due to bad weather but we will provide prior notice if this happens.
2020 sailing times
- Friday 10 April - 10.30am departure, 3.30pm return
- Monday 27 April - 11am departure, 4pm return
- Monday 11 May - 11am departure, 4pm return
- Monday 25 May - 10.30am departure, 3.30pm return
- Monday 8 June - 10.30am departure, 3.30pm return
- Wednesday 10 June - 11am departure, 4pm return
- Wednesday 24 June - 10.30am departure, 3.30pm return
- Monday 6 July - 10.30am departure, 3pm return
- Wednesday 8 July - 10.30am departure, 3.30pm return
- Wednesday 22 July - 10.30am departure, 3pm return
- Friday 24 July - 11am departure, 4pm return
- Wednesday 5 August - 10.30am departure, 3pm return
- Friday 7 August - 11am departure, 4pm return
- Friday 21 August - 10.30am departure, 3.30pm return
- Monday 7 September - 11am departure, 4pm return
- Monday 21 September - 11am departure, 4pm return
- Monday 5 October - 10.30am departure, 3.30pm return
- Monday 19 October - 10.30am departure, 3.30pm return
The pickup location is from Sandbanks Yacht Company slipway. The post code is BH13 7RD and the entrance is on the left hand side next to the Stephen Noble Estate Agent Shop.
Please note the Sandbanks Yacht Company operates a working boat yard so please be aware of vehicle & boat movements while on site.
Visitors using the Seahorse boat service are welcome to use the Sandbanks Yacht Company’s Boatyard Café Bar.
No parking is available on site at the Sandbanks Yacht Company, but there is on street pay & display parking in the surrounding roads. These bays are reserved for blue badge holders: Panorama Road BH13 7RD, Brownsea Road BH13 7QR, Seacombe Road BH13 7RJ, and Grasmere Road BH13 7RH, Sandbanks public beach carpark BH13 8QJ is approximately a 5 minute walk.
2020 return ticket prices
- Adult £7.50
- Child £5.00
Please note we there is an admission fee for visitors to Brownsea Island. Please refer to the 'prices' tab on the top of the home page. National Trust members are welcome free of charge.
How to book
If you would like to book this service, please call 01202 707 744 and select option 8.
Please provide your contact details when booking, so we are able to update you with service information or cancellation due to bad weather.
All terrain wheel chairs
We also provide free all terrain wheel chairs for adults and also have one available for children. These purpose built wheel chairs are incredibly important for providing comfortable access for those who need it. Please pre book yours by calling 01202 707 744.
Electric buggy service
Brownsea runs a free, daily electric buggy service, driven by a team of dedicated volunteers. The buggy can take multiple people and travels along the main island routes of the island and allows access for those who are less able to get out and about on foot. Please ask in reception if you would like to book onto the service.