Volunteering on Brownsea
Are you interested in volunteering on Brownsea? If so, we've got some fantastic new opportunities for you to support us.
Take a look at our current roles below and register your interest in attending one of our Volunteer Taster days on 23, 29, 31 March and 6 April 2022.
You'll be able to shadow the various roles available and chat to staff and volunteers to find out more about each role. More details to follow upon registering.
Current volunteering opportunities
- Visitor Centre volunteers: We're looking for additional volunteers alternate Saturdays and every day, except Thursdays currently. Our Visitor Centre is one of the first places our visitors head to in order to pick up free trails and find out more about conservation projects and plans through our onsite interpretation. During school holidays we also host family-friendly activities here. This role would be perfect for you if you enjoy speaking to people, want to learn about the island and pass on information to our visitors and perhaps lend a hand with activities throughout the season.
- Poole Quay Welcome volunteer: We’re looking for volunteers on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays to represent the National Trust Brownsea team on Poole Quay, supported by a member of staff in the kiosk. You'll be the first port of call for our visitors starting their journey to Brownsea. You'll be based at the conveniently located and lively Poole quayside during daytime operating hours, and this role is all about providing the warmest of welcomes to both pre-booked and walk-up visitors, and directing them to ferry staff who will ensure their safe boarding.
- Brownsea Pier Warden role (on island): We’re looking to add to our Pier Warden volunteer team, with Sundays and Tuesdays currently available to new volunteers. When visitors land on Brownsea, our Pier Warden volunteers ensure a warm on-island welcome and help our visitors find their way into Visitor Reception. They also ensure that our visitors board the ferries safely when they depart. This is a great meet and greet role and you'll work alongside ferry crew and National Trust staff alike to ensure the smooth running of quayside traffic - people mainly, plus the odd peacock, squirrel and gull here and there!
- School holidays and activity volunteers: We’re looking for volunteers for all of our school holidays and especially over Easter and the Jubilee weekend. Our volunteers get involved with chatting to families and sometimes help run crafts and activities, under guidance from the Visitor Experience team. Perhaps you are into crafts, or may be happy to learn to lead guided walks or talks - whatever you think you might like to help with, we'd be pleased to hear from you.
- Café volunteers: The Villano Café is one of the most important places for our visitors to re-fuel on their journey. It can be a lively place, and the staff team are one big family providing excellent service to our visitors. Being the perfect pitstop for a brew with a view, our staff are always grateful for volunteer support, particularly during peak times.