Cycling at Calke
Get wonderful views from your saddle as you explore the ancient parkland at Calke Abbey on a leisurely bike ride.
Calke Abbey on your bike
Grab the bikes and helmets ready for a cycling adventure at Calke Abbey. The Tramway Trail, a circular, multi-use trail, is perfect for family bike rides – it's relatively flat and there are minimal road crossings.
The route takes you through woodland, farmland and pasture, as well as along part of the route of the historic horse-drawn tramway, which was used to cart limestone to the canal at Ashby at the turn of the 19th century. Download the trail below to give it a go.
More pedal power
Don't stop at cycling – refresh and refuel while you're here. We're currently offering a takeaway service in the restaurant from 9.30am every day, and the kiosk at Calke Explore is open at weekends and peak times.
We've got some new safety measures in place including a one-way system in the stableyards to help us maintain social distancing, and we've installed screens inside so you can buy refreshments safely. Please note we're only accepting card and contactless payments.
You're required to wear a face covering inside, unless you're exempt, so please bring one with you.
Our cycle code
We ask that cyclists behave responsibly, particularly with respect to other people enjoying the Calke Abbey estate, and the livestock in the parkland. Get the most out of your cycling adventure by following Calke's cycling code:
- Be courteous and patient with other path users, letting walkers know you're there and giving way to slower users.
- Control your speed according to the surface conditions, ensuring you can stop in time.
- Be particularly careful at junctions, bends, entrances on to the path or any other 'blind spots' where people could appear in front of you without warning.
- Remember to stick to the designated cycle routes – for more information please ask a member of the welcome team.
- Dismount when approaching the stableyard buildings.
You can help us care for Calke by taking all litter home with you, and presenting any National Trust membership cards to a member of the team – by showing your membership card you are helping us greatly to ensure we protect the very valuable income that we need to care for Calke Abbey for ever, for everyone.