Cycling at Calke
Get wonderful views from your saddle as you explore the ancient parkland at Calke Abbey on a leisurely bike ride.
Exploring Calke Abbey on your bike
Grab the bikes and helmets and go on a cycling adventure at Calke Abbey. The recently extended Tramway Trail, with its shallow gradients and minimal road crossings, provides the perfect opportunity for all of the family to get out and enjoy Calke from a two-wheeled perspective.
The route takes you through woodland, farmland and pasture, as well as along part of the route of the historic horse-drawn tramway, which was used to cart limestone to the canal at Ashby at the turn of the 19th century.
More pedal power
Don't stop at cycling; enjoy refreshments at the cafe or restaurant while you're here. There are pop-up bike racks in the courtyard where you can hang your bike securely while you relax with a cup of tea – perhaps served with a tempting sweet treat. You can also refill your water bottle in the restaurant and cafe.
There are permanent bike racks outside the ticket office where you can lock your bikes before setting off to discover Calke's decline as a country house as you explore the house and gardens.
Got a puncture? Pop into the ticket office to borrow our cycle repair kit.
Our cycle code
We ask that cyclists behave responsibly, particularly with respect to other people enjoying the Calke Abbey estate, and the livestock in the parkland. Get the most out of your cycling adventure by following Calke's cycling code:
- Be courteous and patient with other path users, letting walkers know you're there and giving way to slower users.
- Control your speed according to the surface conditions, ensuring you can stop in time.
- Be particularly careful at junctions, bends, entrances on to the path or any other 'blind spots' where people could appear in front of you without warning.
- Remember to stick to the designated cycle routes - for more information please ask a member of the Ticket Office team.
- Dismount when approaching the stableyard buildings.
You can help us care for Calke by taking all litter home with you, and presenting any National Trust membership cards to a member of the team – by showing your membership card you are helping us greatly to ensure we protect the very valuable income that we need to care for Calke Abbey for ever, for everyone.