Write a story about Calke
Do you love telling stories? Are you feeling creative? Get your thinking caps on and enter our children’s writing competition for a chance to win a selection of books.
Use your imagination…
The theme for our writing competition is ‘Calke Abbey’. You can write about anything you like, as long as your story is inspired by Calke.
You could write about a mysterious object in the house, or a brave adventure in the woodland. Perhaps your characters will travel in time and meet the inhabitants of Calke Abbey, or maybe your story will be about Calke’s wildlife, and what the animals get up to when the visitors leave at night…
If you’re stuck for ideas, you could even write about something you saw on your last visit. Get creative and let your imagination run wild!
Win a selection of books
You must be aged 5–13 to enter Calke’s writing competition. Entries will be split into three age categories (please see the writing rules below) and one winner will be chosen from each category. By entering, you have the chance to win a great selection of books!
The judges at Calke Abbey will look for a great plot, originality, interesting characters and good use of language in your story. Most of all, we want to enjoy your story, so try to be as entertaining and original as possible!
- The writing competition is for children aged 5–13 and will be split into three age categories; 5–7, 8–10 and 11–13. A winning story will be chosen from each category.
- Stories must be no more than 500 words in length and written in English.
- Entries for the competition open on Saturday 4 March and the deadline for all entries is Saturday 25 March at 5pm.
- Please email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Calke Writing Competition’. Entries should be attached to the email as a separate document and must include the writer’s name and age, along with contact details (name, address, telephone number and email address) for the parent or guardian.
- Stories can be written about anything, as long as they have some relevance to the theme of ‘Calke Abbey’.
- Please enter only one story per child; the story must be your own work.
- Winners will be contacted by the 1 April and will receive a selection of age-appropriate books as a prize. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- For full terms and conditions download the PDF below.