Isle of Wight spring nature trails
Whether you’re here on holiday or want to enjoy a family day out together, there’s plenty to do at our Isle of Wight places this spring. With a special programme of nature events throughout the Easter holidays, you can try anything from making your own rocket, searching for signs of spring or taking a minibeast safari. And we even have a new trail that will take you to all our places, so you can see just how much nature you can spot.
Spring nature trail (Tues 3 – Sun 15 Apr)
Discover new worlds, from tiny little ones to big open skies, at our places with our new spring wildlife trail. Available from the Needles Battery, Mottistone Gardens, Bembridge Windmill and Newtown, you can follow the map across the Island, and look out for creepy crawlies below and swooping birds above as you go. At each place, test your knowledge and be rewarded with a stamp. But can you collect them all and complete the map?
More nature trails to try
It’s not just one nature trail you can try this Easter either. As you follow the map to each place, you’ll find other adventures to try too. At Mottistone Gardens and the Needles Battery, you can discover all sorts of creatures that call these places home. Can you spot which birds live around the Needles Battery and which eggs they lay? (Tues 3 – Sun15 Apr). And at Bembridge Windmill, become an expert wildlife identifier with our Spring ID trail (Fri 30 Mar – Sun 15 Apr 10.30am-5pm).
Over at Newtown, borrow a magnifying glass and go hunting through the woods and meadows to discover the hidden beasties that live within on a Minibeast Safari (Wed 4, Fri 6 & Wed 11 Apr 11am-1pm). You might find beautiful butterflies or perhaps creepy crawlies and if you arrive by 11am, you’ll even get to see creatures of the night in our moth trap.
Make a pocket rocket at the Needles (Thurs 5 & 12 Apr 11am-3pm). For something completely different this Easter, head to the Needles Battery and become a rocket scientist for the day by making your own ‘fizzy’ rocket. Will yours have enough thrust to launch it the highest?
Useful things to know
- Baby-changing facilities available at Mottistone Gardens and the Needles Old Battery
- Toilets at Mottistone Gardens, the Needles Old Battery and Newtown National Nature Reserve
- Pushchairs and baby back-carriers admitted at the Needles Old Battery, Newtown National Nature Reserve, Mottistone Gardens and in the grounds of the Windmill.
- Tea-room at the Needles Old Battery, tea-garden at Mottistone Gardens and refreshments available at Bembridge Windmill.
- Gifts available from Bembridge Windmill, the Needles Old Battery and Mottistone Gardens