Isle of Wight spring nature trails
For the safety of our visitors, staff and volunteers, these events are now cancelled. Whether you’re here on holiday or want to enjoy a family day out together, there’s plenty to do at our Isle of Wight places this spring. Release your children into nature after a winter of being bundled up indoors and see layers of boredom blow away with the breeze. With plenty of nature events throughout the Easter holidays, you can try anything from creating some leafy art, searching for signs of spring or taking a nature filled adventure.
Spring nature trails
Discover new worlds, from tiny little ones to big open skies, at our places this spring with our nature trails.
At Mottistone Gardens you can hunt through the shrubs and flowers as you follow the trail around the gardens (Sat 4 – Sun 19 Apr 10.30am-4.30pm), whilst at Bembridge Windmill, you can create your very own ‘Colour Catcher’ bookmark, painted with all the colours of nature (Sat 4 – Sun 19 Apr 10.30am-5pm).
Over at Newtown, pick up a map and go hunting through the woods and meadows to discover the hidden beasties that live and grow within on a ’50 things to do before you’re 11¾’ Adventure (Sat 4 – Sun 19 Apr 10am-4.30pm). Why not bring along a picnic to enjoy or a friend to share your nature adventure with? You might find beautiful butterflies and creepy crawlies or perhaps just watch the clouds float by.
Or maybe you'd prefer to get arty and create some wild art? On Tuesday 7 & Thursday 16 April (10.30am-12.30pm), mini explorers can try Leaf Printing at Newtown. Using leaves of different shapes and sizes, tap away to see what impression your leaf will leave behind.
High up on the downs by the Needles Battery delicate flowers are starting to peep out from their winter’s rest. Little ones can pick up a trail sheet at the Battery and use it to identify and discover the colourful wild-flowers that grow there in spring.
Useful things to know
- Baby-changing facilities available at Mottistone Gardens and the Needles Old Battery
- Toilets at Mottistone Gardens, the Needles Old Battery and Newtown National Nature Reserve
- Pushchairs and baby back-carriers admitted at the Needles Old Battery, Newtown National Nature Reserve, Mottistone Gardens and in the grounds of the Windmill.
- Tea-room at the Needles Old Battery, tea-garden at Mottistone Gardens and refreshments available at Bembridge Windmill and Newtown National Nature Reserve
- Gifts available from Bembridge Windmill, the Needles Old Battery and Mottistone Gardens