Isle of Wight spring nature trails
Whether you’re here on holiday or want to enjoy a family day out together, there’s plenty to do at our Isle of Wight places this spring. Release your children into nature after a winter of being bundled up indoors and see layers of boredom blow away with the breeze. With plenty of nature events throughout the Easter holidays, you can try anything from making your own rocket, searching for signs of spring or taking a minibeast safari.
Spring nature trails
Discover new worlds, from tiny little ones to big open skies, at our places this spring with our nature trails. At Mottistone Gardens you can hunt through the shrubs and flowers as you follow the trail around the gardens (Sun 7-Mon 22 Apr 10.30am-4.30pm), whilst at Bembridge Windmill, you can become an expert wildlife identifier with our Spring ID trail (Sat 6 - Mon 22 Apr 10.30am-5pm).
Over at Newtown, borrow a magnifying glass and go hunting through the woods and meadows to discover the hidden beasties that live within on a Minibeast Safari (Wed 10 & 17 Apr 11am-1pm). You might find beautiful butterflies or perhaps creepy crawlies and if you arrive by 11am, you’ll even get to see creatures of the night in our moth trap.
Or maybe you'd prefer to spot birds in the harbour? On Tuesday 9 & 16 April (10.30am-12 noon), mini explorers can try Birdwatching for Beginners at Newtown. You might spot an oystercatcher wading in the creeks or even a redshank's bright orange-red legs.
Make a pocket rocket at the Needles (Weds 10 & 17 Apr 11am-2pm. £1 per rocket kit).
For something completely different this Easter, head to the Needles Battery and become a rocket scientist for the day by making your own ‘fizzy’ rocket. Will yours have enough thrust to launch it the highest?
Useful things to know
- Baby-changing facilities available at Mottistone Gardens and the Needles Old Battery
- Toilets at Mottistone Gardens, the Needles Old Battery and Newtown National Nature Reserve
- Pushchairs and baby back-carriers admitted at the Needles Old Battery, Newtown National Nature Reserve, Mottistone Gardens and in the grounds of the Windmill.
- Tea-room at the Needles Old Battery, tea-garden at Mottistone Gardens and refreshments available at Bembridge Windmill.
- Gifts available from Bembridge Windmill, the Needles Old Battery and Mottistone Gardens