Visiting Gibside with your dog(s)
With 15 miles of paths to explore, trees to sniff and grass to venture through, we can guarantee that your four-legged friends will enjoy Gibside as much as you do.
Dogs are welcome at Gibside and can join you to explore all of the gardens.
We do ask that they're kept on leads throughout your visit as it helps us to care for the wildlife living here.
After a recent trial, we're also pleased to say that Carriages House coffee shop at the stables will be dog-friendly from Monday 7 January 2019.
While the main café was the best place for the trial, it highlighted areas of concern that come with dogs allowed in that space permanently. Carriage House coffee shop may be on the smaller side, however, it’s a cosy space to relax and enjoy a range of refreshments with your dog.
We have a lot of regular dog walkers at Gibside and want them to feel included when it comes to visiting this special place.
Dogs can still join you at the main cafe if you opt for an outdoor seat.
While you're out and about, please help us keep the countryside a safe, healthy and enjoyable place for you and your dog, other visitors, wildlife and livestock by:
- Keeping your dogs on leads at all times (short leads on the Skyline Walk where there may be livestock).
- Picking up your dog mess and placing it in a dog bin (we have six located around Gibside, shown on the estate map)
- Only bringing assistance dogs into the buildings, including the cafes.
- Water bowls around the estate. Please use the taps to fill them up if needed.
- Six dog mess bins (shown on the estate map).
- Spare leads, in case you happen to forget yours or something happens to it (we've all been there).
- Dog mess bags. If you arrive at visitor reception and realise you don't have any please ask the team.
- All dogs are welcome to join you within the outdoor cafe areas. However, please keep them on the floor instead of chairs and tables.