History at Hardcastle Crags

Gibson Mill with the mill pond overflowing

People have lived, worked and played in Hardcastle Crags and Gibson Mill for over 200 years. Weirs, stepping stones and packhorse trails all hint at past activities.

From industrial centre, to entertainment emporium, Gibson Mill and Hardcastle Crags have seen huge changes over the years. People have been visiting the Crags for leisure and entertainment for over 100 years.

Built in around 1800, Gibson Mill was one of the first mills of the Industrial Revolution. The addition of the weaving shed in 1840 led to the production of cotton cloth until1890. At the turn of the century, it started a new life as an Entertainment Emporium with roller skating and tea dances until 1940 when it fell into ruin. The National Trust acquired it in 1950.

Find out more about the people who shaped this unique place.

Gibson Mill courtyard and the original refreshment kiosk.
The view from the estate track looking into Gibson Mill courtyard at the many refreshement opportunities.
Gibson Mill courtyard and the original refreshment kiosk.

 

Five generations of Abraham Gibsons 

Find out out how 5 generations of the same family shaped this place.

The New Pavillion at Hardcastle Crags
Shows the New Pavillion at Hardcastle Crags
The New Pavillion at Hardcastle Crags

Lister Hollinrake; from weaving to waltzing 

From Handloom Weaving to the Entertainment Emporium era, Lister Hollindrake started one of the first cafes at Hardcastle Crags.

The wooden 'city' was built to house the workmen and their families employed in the construction of the Walshaw Dean Reservoirs, 1900 to 1912. Dawson City, Heptonstall
A view across the wooden 'city' was built to house the workmen and their families employed in the construction of the Walshaw Dean Reservoirs, 1900 to 1912.
The wooden 'city' was built to house the workmen and their families employed in the construction of the Walshaw Dean Reservoirs, 1900 to 1912. Dawson City, Heptonstall

Dawson City 

Find out more about the temporary houses that were put up in Heptonstall to house workers who were building resevoirs and the Hardcastle Crags railway.