Accessible routes at Heddon Valley
The Heddon Valley and the carriageway towards Woody Bay are stunning places to explore so we want to ensure that they are as accessible to as many visitors as possible. We teamed up with Countryside Mobility South West and introduced two accessible routes starting from the Heddon Valley, suitable for all-terrain mobility scooters and pushchairs.
We have two all-terrain mobility scooters, or ‘Trampers’, available to hire in the Heddon Valley. We also have two all-terrain pushchairs available to hire from our shop during our main season.
There are two routes to choose from in the Heddon Valley: a 2 mile circular route to Heddon's Mouth and a 5 mile linear route to Woody Bay. Both routes take in the beautiful woodland, wildlife and clifftop views along the West Exmoor coastline.
For more information please download the Heddon Valley Tramper routes and information (PDF / 1.1MB) download
Please note: The trampers are only available during the Heddon Valley Shop opening hours. If you would like to use one of the trampers please check our opening times here first and ring 01598 763402 to enquire about availability. Thank you.
Would you like to use the Tramper or know someone who would?
- If you are not already a member we can sign you up at the Heddon Valley Shop as a Countryside Mobility (2 weeks) taster or annual member (12 months). A small Countryside Mobility membership fee applies and at Heddon Valley we currently charge a daily hire fee of £5.
- On your first visit you need to allow 30 mins to complete a short form and for a Tramper driving lesson.
- You must be aged over 14. If you are under 18 you will need a parent or guardian's permission.
- You must be accompanied by a walking companion throughout your journey.
- We highly recommend you to read this prior to your arrival: http://www.countrysidemobility.org/conditions
- We recommend that you book your Tramper in advance; they are very popular and an instructor is required to be present on the day of hire.
- If you're already a Countryside Mobility member, please bring along your membership card on the day of hire.
- To book please call 01598 763402.
Details about Countryside Mobility and a list of the other Tramper locations can be found on the website http://www.countrysidemobility.org or by calling 01392 459222. You can also find out more by following them on Twitter @CMSouthWest or Facebook CountrysideMobility.
This year we have proudly partnered with Woolacombe & Mortehoe Tourist Information Centre to provide a Tramper at Woolacombe, where visitors can enjoy a route through the sand dunes or use it to gain limited access to the beach. Visit the Woolacombe website for more information, or call the Woolacombe Tourist Information Centre on 01271 870553.
You might be interested to know that the National Trust leases the two Trampers at Heddon Valley with money funded through donations and the sale of raffle tickets. Please do support our work whilst you are in the Heddon Valley or any other National Trust place to allow our great work to continue.
" Many people have found that Trampers have given them back their freedom, enabling them to enjoy time outdoors alone, with their partner or on a family outing. Those who discover Trampers love them and are always for looking for new places to explore."
Whilst these routes are specifically surfaced to allow Tramper access it also makes them ideal walks for visitors with an all terrain pushchair. We have two all-terrain buggies available to hire from the National Trust shop during the main season.
This year the shop will be open from March to October (specific dates to be confirmed), from 10.30am. Please note that buggies must be out by 2pm at the latest.