Longshaw's rhubarb and orange cake with flaked almonds
This tasty cake is served at our Longshaw café and is so popular we wanted to share the recipe with you.
- 400g (14oz) rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm pieces
- 200g (7oz) golden caster sugar
- 150g (5oz) butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 75g (2.5oz) self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100g (3.5oz) ground almonds
- grated zest of 1 small orange plus 2tbsp juice
- 25g (1oz) flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 190C, gas mark 5.
- Grease a 23cm springform cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Place the rhubarb in a bowl and cover with 50g of the sugar.
- Leave for 30 minutes whilst preparing the rest of the cake.
- Beat together the remaining sugar and the butter, then whisk in the eggs.
- Using a metal spoon gently fold in the flour, baking powder and ground almonds, then stir in the orange zest and juice.
- Stir the rhubarb and its sugary juices into the cake mixture and spoon into the prepared tin.
- Place on a baking tray, sprinkle over the flaked almonds and bake for 25 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 180C, gas mark 4 and cook for a further 20-25 minutes or until firm.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold with softly whipped cream or custard.