Big Camp at Newtown National Nature Reserve July 2017
This was about our Big Camp in July 2017 which has now ended. Pack your tent and sleeping bag and head over to Newtown on the Isle of Wight for a night under canvas. We’re holding our Big Camp again this summer which means that, for just one special night a year, you can be one of the lucky few to experience camping in the meadows of this National Nature Reserve.
Pick your pitch
Choose your spot and set up camp from midday on Saturday 22 July until Sunday 23 July at midday. Once you’ve finished setting up, play in the meadows or tick off some of the 50 things to do before you’re 11 ¾. With the long summer days there’ll be plenty of time to explore the woods and creeks before tucking in to freshly cooked food from the BBQ.
As the sun goes down, there are lots of family activities to try too. Discover what creatures come out at night as you tune in your senses on a night walk with our rangers. In the dark skies above, look out for shooting stars and explore the constellations and planets with the Vectis Astronomers who’ll be setting up their telescopes.
At Newtown there’s no need for an alarm clock. Instead, wake up to the sound of birds singing in the trees and hedgerows as the sun rises on Sunday morning. Once the sun’s up, we’ll be serving breakfast and there’ll be time to squeeze in one more family game before packing up camp ready for departure by noon.
As there are only a limited number of places at £26 for adults and £11 for under 16s, please book to ensure you can be part of this special opportunity to have a real family adventure in the great outdoors.
- Pitches will be large enough for you to pitch a 3 metre family tent and park your car beside it.
- Please bring camping equipment, including a tent, sleeping bag, torch and so on, with you. Please wear comfortable clothing as the event will go ahead whatever the weather.
- We’re afraid that we don’t have space for dogs on site. Only assistance dogs will be permitted in the camping area.
- Children must be accompanied by adults at all times on site.
- There are toilets and hand washing basins in the Reserve car park just across the road from the camping field.
- Please let us know if you have any dietary requirements when booking.
- The only permitted fire will be the BBQ as we must not damage the specially protected meadows. Please do not bring your own BBQ or gas fires.
- If you have them, please bring binoculars for the night walk.
If you're in need of new camping gear or some expert advice on where to start, our official outdoor partner, Cotswold Outdoor, is here to help. Combining their excellent brand knowledge with real world experience, in store, their friendly staff can offer you first-hand advice about how their products perform - not just what's on the label. Plus, as a National Trust member, you receive a 15% discount*. Show your National Trust membership card in store to use your discount.
To find your nearest store visit: cotswoldoutdoor.com/stores
*Full T&C's apply. Offer expires 31.12.17
Join in our Big Camp at Newtown
Save your place on this special camping trip