Visiting Smallhythe Place with your family
From March-October explore the house and grounds with your family at Smallhythe Place, with colourful gardens to run around outside and a Museum and Theatre with lots to discover.
Family friendly checklist
- Children under 5 go free.
- Children's quiz available from visitor reception
- Children's ‘50 Thing’s’ activity pack available from visitor reception.
- Pushchairs permitted around the grounds and in the Tea-room, though not in the house or Theatre due to space restrictions.
- Toilets are located in the garden beside the Theatre Tea-room.
- Unfortunately, no baby changing facilities are available.
- Tea-room serves hot and cold refreshments, light lunches and freshly baked cakes.
- Great family gifts and pocket money toys available in the gift corner.
- Picnics are welcome in the gardens and on our picnic tables located beside the Tea-room. We politely ask you to take your rubbish home with you.
- Water - please be aware that there are two unfenced ponds around the garden.
- Paths in the garden may become slippery after rainfall and in the winter, please wear sturdy footwear and take care on your route around the property.
- BBQ’s are not permitted onsite.
Explore Smallhythe's history with our Kids Quizzes
Smallhythe Place is full of hidden secrets, history and unique artefacts. Grab one of our House quizzes or nature worksheets from Visitor Reception and see what you can learn as you explore the house and grounds. For our littler visitors we have an interactive spot sheet, let your young ones lead you around the rooms and see what they can find.
Space to stretch your legs
Wander through the gardens, orchard and nuttery and make a beeline for the old Tennis Court lawn for a game of croquet. Or pick up the balls under the cowbyre for a game of Bowls on the lower lawn. Who will be crowned the champion on your visit?
School holiday fun
We’ve always got children’s activities taking place across the school holidays, take a look here to find out what’s going on.
Tick off some of your '50 Things' activities on your visit. Pick up one of the 50 Things booklets from visitor reception and see how many you can complete here and what you could do at home.
Perfect for picnics
We welcome picnics at Smallhythe, find a quiet corner of the garden and take in the views of the rolling hills and Kentish countryside, or take a seat at one of our picnic tables outside the Theatre. If you fancy something extra then you can find tasty treats, drinks, ice creams and freshly baked cakes from the Tea-room. There’s some great picnic accessories available to purchase from the Gift Corner too, so don’t worry if you’ve left something behind. But please do remember to pick up any litter once you've finished and take it home.
With family membership you can enjoy great adventures at many National Trust places and free car parking at countryside sites. Both 1 and 2 adult family memberships available - just ask at reception.