Exhibition at Sutton Hoo
Since we closed back in October 2018, we’ve been hard at work transforming our exhibition hall into something wonderful for an exciting new experience of Sutton Hoo. This summer, discover what we’ve been up to with our completely redesigned – and renamed – High Hall.
Thanks to an investment of £4million, we’ve been bringing to life some ambitious plans to help us release the story of Sutton Hoo. This is the biggest investment the National Trust has ever made in Sutton Hoo and it’s all been made possible thanks to a £1.8million grant from the National Lottery Heritage Fund and the generosity of National Trust members and supporters through donations and fundraising.
The work continues, and we’ll be revealing inside our High Hall in summer, although early visitors will be able to see behind the scenes work continuing across the site.
Come and visit us again in summer as we open the doors to our High Hall and to the world of the Anglo-Saxons.
• 1,507 - The number of miles the Byzantine bowl travelled
• 625 - The year in which it is believed King Rædwald died
• 37 - The number of gold coins found within the Great Ship Burial
• 30.5 - The height in metres from the River Deben to the Great Ship Burial
• 18 - The total number of mounds originally thought to have been present at Sutton Hoo
• 3 - Number of Anglo-Saxon ship burials discovered in England to date