Tranmer House at Sutton Hoo
Built in 1910, this Edwardian house was Edith Pretty’s home. In the late 1930s, a spiritualist friend of Mrs Pretty looked out from the house and saw a ghostly vision on the burial mounds, which inspired the famous Sutton Hoo dig.
A pretty home
Keep up-to-date with all of our exciting events below!
Did you know?
- Its original name was Sutton Hoo House
- Annie Tranmer Charitable Trust gave the house to National Trust in 1997
- Land Army girls were stationed at the house during the Second World War
- Part of the house was demolished to save on heating bills
- There was no garden because the rabbits would destroy it
- You can rent a holiday apartment at the house and live just like Mrs Pretty