Re-flaunching of the kitchen ruins
Conservation work has begun to re-flaunch the kitchen wall ruins which are situated next to the Great Tower in the inner moat. The flaunching (the original capping on top of some of the ruins which covers the brickwork) is believed to have been installed during Lord Curzon’s restoration project during 1912-1914. Over the winter we noticed that it had started to fail with pieces of the capping falling into the moat, exposing the brickwork underneath.
As part of ongoing conservation works at the Castle this summer sees work being carried out to protect the kitchen ruins. The first step is to remove old failing flaunching and send it off to be analysed to find out what it is made up of. After grinding up the old flaunching it will be mixed in with lime mortar and replaced on top of the ruins to form a new protective seal over the brickwork. There is a layered approach to applying the lime mortar mix, allowing for time in between applications for drying of each layer.
All work is painstakingly carried out by hand and transported over the bridges in wheelbarrows, harking back to the early 1900’s and mimicking an action that the labourers back in Curzon’s day would have done.
Vital conservation works such as this are able to be carried out thanks to each and every one of our visitors, who help conserve this special place for future generations to enjoy.